Peyton Manning’s wild success as a quarterback isn’t the only reason Denverites (and much of the country) adore him. Manning happens to currently hold the NFL record for most touchdown passes in a season, is considered savvy both on and off the field, and has overcome injuries which likely would’ve ended the career of a less committed player. The man is just plain likeable.
His laidback attitude, stiff-but-approachable personality, and sense of humor have led to appearances on Saturday Night Live, commercials, and public speeches. Here, six of our favorite Manning clips.
1. This tactful dodge of an explanation to the press regarding his “Omaha” calls.
2. In this appearance on Sports Center, Manning entertains a satirical interview with the AnchorMan character Ron Burgundy for seven (long) minutes. The man has patience.
3. When Manning became tearful during his acceptance speech of Sports Illustrated’s 2013 Sportsman of the Year award—because we don’t mind when our NFL players get a little emotional.
4. Eli and Peyton often team up for commercials, including this parody-trailer for a Football Cops film. (Warning: This clip is somewhat graphic.)
5. Football on Your Phone is comedy fit for NFL history books.
6. Manning uses football to mentor a local youth group in this Saturday Night Live skit. (Sorry, no embed code for this one, but you can check it out on Hulu at http://www.hulu.com/watch/1603.)
—Image courtesy of Shutterstock