Early Summer Picnic Salad
From Z Cuisine chef Timothy Payne (serves 4)
Find the ingredients for this seasonal leafy salad at your local farmers’ market.
1 lime, plus 2 teaspoons zest
1 orange, plus 2 teaspoons zest
2 lemons, plus 2 teaspoons zest
1 tablespoon local agave or honey (try Madhava Natural Sweeteners)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup high-quality olive oil
1 pound baby greens (lettuce, arugula, spinach)
½ cup mix of leafy herbs (try mint, basil, cilantro, parsley)
1 bunch baby heirloom carrots, washed and cut lengthwise
4 baby Chioggia (candy-striped) or golden beets, peeled and cooked
3 baby white turnips, washed and thinly sliced
4 French breakfast or Easter egg radishes, washed and thinly sliced
1 cup fresh local chèvre (try Jumpin’ Good Goat Dairy, Haystack Mountain Goat Dairy, or Broken Shovels Farm)
½ cup crushed nuts (try almonds and walnuts)
1) For the vinaigrette, juice the lime, orange, and lemons into a mixing bowl. Add the zest of each plus agave, salt, and pepper. Whisk.
2) While whisking, add high-quality olive oil in a slow, steady stream. Whisk until combined. Set aside.
3) Toss the washed (and dried) greens with the herbs and set aside.
4) Place the carrots, cooked beets, turnips, and radishes in a bowl. Add ¼ cup of the vinaigrette and allow the vegetables to marinate for about 15 minutes.
5) Shape the goat cheese into dime-size balls; then roll the balls gently in the crushed nuts and set aside.
6) Add ¼ cup of the vinaigrette to the greens and toss gently.
7) Arrange the greens on a platter. Place the marinated vegetables and goat cheese “truffles” on top. Serve the remaining vinaigrette on the side.