Grilled Top Round Steak
From Zapata Ranch restaurant executive chef Mike Rosenberg (serves 4)
Top round is an affordable cut of meat that, with a little care, can be transformed into the delicious—and easy-to-make—star of your plate.
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
12 ounces Dr Pepper
2 pounds top round, cut 1- to 1¼-inch thick
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Mix the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and Dr Pepper together in a small bowl.
2) Place the meat in a glass dish, then coat it with the marinade mix.
3) Cover and refrigerate for 7 to 8 hours.
4) Remove the steak from the fridge 30 minutes before you plan to cook it. Preheat oven to 400°, and turn your grill to medium-high.
5) Once the grill is hot, place the beef in the center of the rack for about 7 minutes. Turn it once and grill for another 7 minutes.
6) Place the steak in a shallow pan and roast it in the oven until its internal temperature hits 135°, typically a few minutes.
7) Let the beef rest on a cutting board for 10 to 12 minutes, then slice on a bias, against the grain; salt and pepper to taste; and serve.