March 3 2005, 5:53 PM
The Democratic National Committee says that President Bush's proposed budget contains large cuts for Colorado. Among them:
- Homeland Security:
- a $17.8 million cut for Colorado, including funds for police and firefighters. Health Care
- $45 billion is cut from Medicaid, with Colorado's share amounting to $354 million.
- Cuts for the No Child Left Behind Act result in a decrease of $137.1 million in Colorado, affecting more than 27,000 children.
- Cuts in Pell Grants for Colorado students will leave 65,070 students in tight straits. Other Priorities
- Colorado job training programs will lose $16.6 million.
- 446,385 Colorado veterans will have to pay a new $250 annual "user fee" to use the VA health care system, and their prescription drug co-payment will be doubled.
- Colorado clean water programs will be cut by $3.1 million.
- The Low Income Heating Energy Assistance Program will be cut by $3.7 million for Colorado residents.