Attention salon goers: If you haven’t heard by now, consider this your wakeup call (and an excuse to schedule that overdue color session). A couple of weeks ago, Denver’s prestigious Matthew Morris Salon and Skincare opened its doors in a new location—and we’re loving the airy, eco-friendly vibe in the trendy South Broadway space. The 6,000-square-foot salon meshes modern and rustic decor, with 26 chairs and chic-yet-organic twists that reflect Morris’ eye for unique architecture details and Colorado aesthetics.
If you’ve never scheduled an appointment at Matthew Morris, you may recognize him as a former star on Bravo TV’s Shear Genius (plus, his laundry list of other industry notches—New York and Aspen fashion weeks, the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, and more—is impressive.) Our readers have been fans for years; most recently they voted Morris and co-owner Marvin Gutierrez Denver’s best power couple in our July Top of the Town issue.
Here are five reasons why we think the new Matthew Morris Salon and Skincare space is worth checking out:
- The design. It’s all about reused and refurbished materials, outfitted with items from designers such as Fin Art, a local handmade furniture company and a 5280 favorite. Furnishings include a recycled airplane wing in reception, reclaimed beetle-kill pine walls, roll-up garage doors, and stylist stations made from railroad carts.
- The tech savvy. Bring your laptop or tablet to take advantage of convenient access to docking stations so you can keep up with work, and expect the stylists to schedule your next appointment and conduct your style consultation with one of their iPads.
- The color bar (pictured here with transparencies of Morris’ fall/winter collection, shot by Jody Zorn). Sidle up to the centralized bar—which looks more like something you’d find in a swanky new happy hour joint than a beauty salon—and grab a stool to watch color being mixed and catch up on chit chat while your own hair is processing.
- The parking. It’s a private lot—no scrambling for street spots on Broadway.
- The zen. Besides being an open, airy space, Morris and company have put the phones in a separate back area so clients aren’t exposed to the noise of incoming rings and scheduling conversations as they come in or out.
Stay tuned for a grand opening event on October 13. In the meantime, get that updo on the books.
—Image courtesy of Matthew Morris Salon and Skincare
Meet the man who took charge of the Colorado DOC in the wake of his predecessor’s murder....
The 33 things every Coloradan should know how to do.
This season’s nine top looks for men and women exude a casual but polished elegance...
Behold, the 10 very best restaurants to hit the Mile High City in the past year.
Elegant taste, feminine colors, and just a touch of sparkle: How a city girl got her dream home...