The time for champagne and fireworks is upon us. Ring in the new year with a little help from 5280. If you've procrastinated on planning for the big night, no need to fret. I've got you covered with some of the best events around town.
FOOD AND DRINK
- Al Lado: Riverfront's new tapas bar wants you to indulge on NYE. Gather a group of four or more and order The Whole Shebang—as in, the entire tapas menu and a magum of sparkling, red, or white wine. (Ordering a la carte is acceptable, too.) 5 p.m.; 1610 Little Raven St., 303-572-3000; $240
- Central Bistro & Bar: Go back to the 1960s with a dinner of iconic American dishes (choose between three or five courses), cocktails, live jazz, and an all-you-can-drink midnight celebration. Reservations are strongly suggested. Times vary; 1691 Central St., 303-477-4582; $30-$68
- Second Home Kitchen + Bar: Head to Cherry Creek for butter-braised lobster, braised Colorado lamb, or pan-seared duck breast. 5–11 p.m.; 150 Clayton Lane, 303-253-3000, secondhomedenver.com; Prices vary
- Trillium: Downtown's hippest Scandinavian restaurant is serving a three-course, off-menu dinner. Reservations are required. Times vary; 2134 Larimer St., 303-379-9759; $70++ with optional alcohol pairings for $25
- Boulder Chamber Orchestra. 6:30 p.m.; Lakewood Cultural Center, 470 S. Allison Parkway, Lakewood, 303-987-7845, lakewood.org/CulturalCenter; $25
- The Lumineers. 9 p.m.; Ogden Theatre, 935 E. Colfax Ave., 303-832-1874, ogdentheater.net; $30
- Thievery Corporation. 9 p.m.–1:30 a.m.; Dobson Arena, 321 E. Lionshead Circle, Vail; tickets start at $75
- Yonder Mountain String Band. 9 p.m.; Boulder Theater, 2032 14th St., Boulder, 303-786-7030; $65
- Best New Year's Eve(r): A comedy show by Impulse Theater, dinner at Wynkoop Brewing Company, champagne toast, live DJ, and fireworks on the 16th Street Mall. 7:15 p.m. and 9:45 p.m.; Impulse Theater, 1634 18th St., 303-297-2111; Show-only tickets are $30-$35; Packages are $60-$75 per person
- On the Spot: It can't hurt to kick off 2013 with laughter—and plenty of it—courtesy of Bovine Metropolis Theater's annual NYE improv show. Heads Up: Comedy Works Larimer Square and Landmark DTC are also hosting NYE stand-up. 4 p.m., 7:30 p.m., and 10 p.m.; 1527 Champa St., 303-758-4722; $20–$30
- Midnight at the Library: Start 2013 off with class at this pop-up speakeasy. All proceeds benefit the S.O.U.L. Foundation. 9 p.m.-1:30 a.m.; McNichols Civic Center Building, 144 W. Colfax Ave. (Civic Center Park); $85 (tickets will not be sold at the door)
- Miracle + Wonder: The annual fund-raiser for BMoCA features fortune tellers, artists working live, dancing, hors d'oeuvres, and, of course, a champagne toast. 9 p.m.-2 a.m.; Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art, 1750 13th St., Boulder, 303-443-2122, bmoca.org; $20-$30
- Noon Years Eve: Just because you have an early bedtime doesn't mean you should miss the excitement of NYE. Whisk the kids to Times Square with the Children's Museum's early afternoon ball drops. 9 a.m.–4 p.m.; 2121 Children's Museum Dr., 303-433-7444; $5
- Party 'til you drop: Are you the type of person who wants to ring in 2013 with an epic dance party meets lights show meets concert? Any of these blow-outs will be perfect for you: White Rose Gala/Champagne Hotel, New Year's Eve Block Party, Passport New Year's Eve, or Denver's Grandest New Year's Eve Party. Or stop by the Tavern Downtown for the annual olive drop and fireworks.
- Torchlight parades (skiers and snowboarders ride down the mountain carrying flames or orange lights) are planned for many mountain towns. Check out festivities at Copper, Crested Butte, Steamboat, and more.
SPORTS AND RECREATION
- Evergreen Lake IceFest/Skate the Lake: Spend a fun day ice skating, taking sleigh rides, and watching fireworks with whole family at this annual, alcohol-free soiree. Times vary; drive-smart.org; $20–$25
- Sin City Fireworks Extravaganza: Bowling alley meets nightclub at this Vegas-themed event with a view of the downtown fireworks. Forget the hoity toity parties and sign up for DJ-spun beats and four hours of open bar. 8 p.m.; Lucky Strike Lounge & Lanes, 500 16th St., #340, 303-629-9090, bowlluckystrike.com; $55 (VIP and couples packages also available)
—Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Follow assistant editor Daliah Singer on Twitter at @daliahsinger.