When Denver PrideFest hits town this Saturday, you'll likely get in a workout without even trying. (The trying would come in the form of the Big Gay 5K starting at 10 a.m. at Civic Center Park.) I'm talking about something more fun: dance.
Dance is a total-body workout that has all the benefits of a long run or a session on the elliptical, which burns 400 calories per hour. You'll burn far more this Saturday at PrideFest where four live stages will blast music from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
A handful of body-shaping reasons to let loose:
- House music (Smirnoff DanceWorld stage) and latin dance (Orgullo Latino stage) are set to a fast tempo, 160 to 210 beats per minute, ensuring a higher-than-average calorie burn.
- Abs—from transverse to obliques—and the muscles that support your spine get a 360-degree workout from the twisting, pulling, and constant back-and-forth movement.
- A stronger core improves posture and helps prevent lower-back pain.
- The fat-blasting combo of cardio, strength, and power moves boosts your metabolism for faster weight loss.
- All the upper-body action shapes sexy shoulders, arms, and back. It also strengthens the small, easily injured rotator cuff muscles in your shoulders.
- Line dancing at the OutWest Country stage improves agility and gait for better balance. And all the torso bending helps tone your midsection.
—Image via Shutterstock
Meet the man who took charge of the Colorado DOC in the wake of his predecessor’s murder....
The 33 things every Coloradan should know how to do.
This season’s nine top looks for men and women exude a casual but polished elegance...
Behold, the 10 very best restaurants to hit the Mile High City in the past year.
Elegant taste, feminine colors, and just a touch of sparkle: How a city girl got her dream home...