When the Vail International Dance Festival (VIDF) hits the mountain stage on Sunday, you'll have more than a dozen performances and events to choose from. Plan your schedule around these five events, selected with input from VIDF artistic director Damian Woetzel (read my Q&A with him).
1. Up Close: Footwork. Woetzel hosts a behind-the-scenes experience where attendees can watch professional dancers in a variety of styles perform, and then learn about the footwork and technique afterward. "There's no divide between the stage and the house," Woetzel says. Wednesday, July 31, 6:30 p.m., Vilar Performing Arts Center, Beaver Creek, $75–$275
2. International Evenings of Dance. This around-th- world introduction to dance features Argentinean Herman Cornejo, principal in the American Ballet Theatre (pictured), who will perform in pieces he's never previously danced. Friday, August 2, and Saturday, August 3, 7:30 p.m., Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater, Vail, $20–$95
3. Now: Premieres. An evening of five world premieres commissioned for VIDF. Of particular note: A brand new piece by modern dance master Paul Taylor, performed by the Paul Taylor Dance Company. Monday, August 5, 7:30 p.m., Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater, Vail, $20–$75
4. Dance for $20.13. You can't beat this deal: four performances for $20.13.
Tuesday, August 6, 7:30 p.m., Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater, Vail
5. Dance TV. See top movers and shakers from dance reality shows—So You Think You Can Dance, America's Best Dance Crew, Dancing with the Stars—live. My favorite: Twitch. Saturday, August 10, 7:30 p.m., Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater, Vail, $20–$75
–Image courtesy of Erin Baiano
Colorado coal mining sits at a crossroads.
The Mile High Holidays: A Local Gift Guide
Meet the principal of Columbine High School.
Everything you need to know about Colorado's grand experiment with legalized recreational...
Colorado has pumped nearly $25 million into mental health crisis care since the Aurora theater...