With the Sochi Olympics just two weeks away, Team USA has finally come together. The official team was finalized on Monday. We wrote about some of the Colorado athlete hopefuls in our January issue (read here and here). So who can you root for in Russia—and who has to wait four more years?
On the Team
We called it...
- Aaron Blunck, Freeskiing (Crested Butte)
- Torin Yater-Wallace, Freeskiing (Basalt)
- Bobby Brown, Freeskiing (Breckenridge)
- Mikaela Shiffrin, Alpine Skiing (Eagle-Vail)
- Katie Uhlaender (pictured), Skeleton (Vail)
- Arielle and Taylor Gold, Snowboarding (Steamboat Springs)
- Bryan and Taylor Fletcher, Nordic Combined (Steamboat Springs)
But we're equally excited about these athletes...
- Todd Lodwick, Nordic Combined (Steamboat Springs)
- Keri Herman, Freeskiing (Breckenridge)
- Gus Kenworthy, Freeskiing (Telluride)
- Justin Reiter, Snowboarding (Steamboat Springs)
- Paul Stastny, Hockey (Colorado Avalanche)
- Jeremy Abbott, Figure Skating (Aspen)
- Lanny Barnes, Biathlon (Durango)
- Simi Hamilton, Cross-Country Skiing (Aspen)
- Noah Hoffman, Cross-Country Skiing (Aspen)
- David Chodounsky, Alpine Skiing (Crested Butte)
- Lyman Currier, Freeskiing (Boulder)
- Heidi Kloser, Freeskiing (Vail)
- Figure skater Max Aaron finished just out of Olympic contention in third place.
- Alpine skier Alice McKennis dropped her Olympic bid last Friday, citing continuing pain from a March crash.
Read about the full 230-member U.S. Olympic Team—"the largest athlete delegation for any nation in the history of the Olympic Winter Games"—here.
The U.S. Paralympic Team will be announced on February 21, but we already know a couple locals have been nominated to the team:
- Kevin Burton, Nordic Skiing (Boulder)
- Monica Bascio, Nordic Skiing (Evergreen)
—Image courtesy of Pat Hendrick
Follow associate editor Daliah Singer on Twitter at @daliahsinger.
Meet the man who took charge of the Colorado DOC in the wake of his predecessor’s murder....
The 33 things every Coloradan should know how to do.
This season’s nine top looks for men and women exude a casual but polished elegance...
Behold, the 10 very best restaurants to hit the Mile High City in the past year.
Elegant taste, feminine colors, and just a touch of sparkle: How a city girl got her dream home...