Web Exclusive: Recipes from 2008's Best New Restaurants
Chefs from this year's top dining spots share their kitchen secrets.
Pumpkin Crème Fraîche Quick Bread
- 14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup crème fraîche (substitute sour cream or buttermilk)
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ baking soda
- 1 ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 ½ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
Preheat oven to 350˚, and butter three loaf pans.
Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside. In the large bowl of a standing mixer, cream butter, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg, until light in color, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time until completely combined. Slowly mix in crème fraîche and pumpkin puree. Add flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Be careful not to over mix or the bread will be chewy. Fold in cranberries and toasted walnuts. Divide into prepared pans, and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Rotate pans halfway through baking.