Ahh, breakfast. The smell of sizzling bacon alone brings back the Saturday mornings of childhood. And while the meal was ignored for too long by serious restaurants, that’s no longer true. Here, our favorite 64 spots for morning eats.
FOR THE HEALTH NUT…
- We’re not totally convinced that Hot Cakes’ health nut pancakes are actually all that nutritious, but we want to believe. These blueberry flapjacks come topped with granola, chopped walnuts, and more blueberries. We look at it this way: With antioxidants in the berries, fiber in the granola, and Omega-3s in the nuts, you’re getting a kick of nutrients amidst the goodness. 1400 E. 18th Ave., 303-832-4351, eathotcakes.com
- A frozen yogurt spot for breakfast? You bet. At Kuulture, owner Hidemi Ena’s açai bowls attract the morning crowd. There are several combinations—all featuring a smoothie-like blend of organic fruit and açai (a Brazilian super fruit)—but we go back again and again for the kuulture bowl, a combo of açai, strawberry, blueberry, and banana topped with organic hemp granola, banana slices, and agave nectar. Bonus: Every bite is vegan and dairy-free. 1512 Larimer St., 303-573-7200
- We adore Encore’s Greek yogurt parfait with pears and chef Paul Reilly’s cranberry-pumpkin seed granola. If that’s too healthy, add a side of the sagey, house-made sausage patties. 2550 E. Colfax Ave., 303-355-1112, encoreoncolfax.com
- Those looking for a gluten-free indulgence will find one at Centro Latin Kitchen & Refreshment Palace. Here, chef Ian Clark makes decadent chocolate-chip pancakes using a gluten-free mix from Boulder-based Lillabee. You won’t be able to tell the difference from the regular pancakes—of course, the caramelized, tequila bananas don’t hurt either. 950 Pearl St., Boulder, 303-442-7771, centrolatinkitchen.com
- Order the oatmeal at Cozy Cottage and you’ll be rewarded with a hearty bowl of oats long simmered in nondairy substitute (so that the dish is vegan-friendly), honey, and brown sugar. Each serving arrives topped with walnuts and banana slices, so if you finish the dish, you’ll be coursing with energy all day long. 4363 Tennyson St., 720-855-9800