July 1 is the day many new laws take effect
A big one this year is Sunday liquor sales. Beginning Sunday, July 7, you will be able to purchase alcohol and full strength beer on Sundays. Convenience store owners are dreading the change, fearing a sales drop-off in 3.2 beer. Their push to allow them to sell full strength beer failed.
Also on tap are laws that:
- Raise fines for some traffic offenses like driving under the influence of alcohol and speeding.
- Allow art galleries to serve alcohol up to four hours a day, 15 days per year.
- Require massage therapists to be licensed
- Toughen "adverse possession" laws to make it harder for your neighbor to claim a piece of your land
- Ban ticket scalpers from using software that allows them to game the system by jumping ahead of others or getting around limits on the number of tickets that can be purchased
- Create a new crime for threatening a judge or his or her staff or family members.