In the July issue  of 5280, we broke down the number of DUI arrests in the metro area  in the month of July from 2007 to 2011. Here are some tips to avoid becoming a part of this year's statistics—and still have fun on our nation's b-day.
- Have a plan before you head out. Don’t wait until you are already impaired to decide how you are getting home.
- Take advantage of RTD’s 10,000 bus stops, 35 miles of light rail service, and 70 Park-n-Rides. Remember, though, Wednesday services will be on a Holiday schedule.
- Call a cab or a designated driver service if your plans change during the night.
- Don’t rely on coffee, mixes, or water to sober you up. Time is the only thing that can do the job.
- Don’t hesitate to call 911 if you see erratic driving. The Denver Police Department considers any form of impaired driving an emergency.
—Image courtesy of Shutterstock