—Photo courtesy of Shutterstock
1. Steep 1 pound of organic, dried hibiscus flowers in 4 quarts of filtered 180° water for 2 hours.
Strain out the hibiscus flowers.
2. Combine the hibiscus liquid with 1 cup coconut nectar,* ½ cup organic ginger juice, and 1 tablespoon sea salt.
3. Churn in...
1. Peel and quarter 2 medium red beets.
Place in a pot with enough water to cover and boil until mushy, about 2 hours.
Remove and shock beets in cold water.
2. In a food processor, purée the beets.
After the purée has...
—Photo by Sarah Boyum
1. Choose three complementary flavors of ice cream. Place three glass nesting bowls in the freezer for at least 10 minutes. Spread a half-inch layer of softened ice cream inside the largest bowl. Nest the medium bowl into the large bowl. Place back in the freezer for about 2 hours.
1. Cut 2 pounds of bacon into 1-inch pieces and cook over medium-high heat in a large skillet, stirring occasionally, until bacon is browned, about 20 to 30 minutes. Drain grease, reserving ¼ to ½ cup, and place bacon on paper towels to drain.
2. Return the reserved bacon grease to the pan...
—Courtesy of Shutterstock
1. Confit one head of garlic by combining 1⁄3 cup olive oil and 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil in a medium saucepan. Add peeled garlic and bring to a simmer; cook for 30 minutes or until garlic is tender.
2. Meanwhile, over an open flame, roast 12 washed and hulled tomatillos and four...
As an elegant affair with friends, or intimate dinner for two, this meal will dazzle your diners, and leave you feeling like a cooking wizard. Best of all, it's fancy, but not overly fussy.
Fried risotto balls
Warm-weather peas* (from the Squeaky Bean, page 108)...
July 28 2015, 10:30 AM
Make Vesta's recipe for caramelized mushrooms and pecorino with arugula, saba syrup, and grilled brioche. —Photo by Aaron Colussi
No more feeling overwhelmed at the thought of hosting your own dinner party. This one is simple enough to throw together at the last-minute—and memorable to the last bite.
Beet salad* (from Colterra, page 102)
Caramelized mushrooms and pecorino with arugula, saba syrup,...
July 21 2015, 10:30 AM
—Courtesy of Hayley Mason and Bill Staley
If your life is defined by the paleo diet (gluten- and grain-free, heavy on lean meats, fruits and veggies, and healthy fats), then you’re likely already familiar with Golden native Juli Bauer. The 27-year-old is the smart, plucky voice behind paleomg.com, a recipe, fitness, and fashion blog that...