The Tivoli Theater became a ghastly party Friday during the opening night of the Mile High Horror Film Festival. The festival—a mix of features and shorts—continues through Sunday. Here, our five picks for an insanely bloody, fun weekend.
1. Kidnapped Things are going good for Jaime, Marta, and their teenage daughter Isa, until a break-in at their new home turns into a night of terror. That’s pretty standard horror film stuff, but here’s where Kidnapped gets cool: Since it was filmed using less than a dozen shots, there’s a restless tension throughout the film as you live the violence in real time with the family.
2. Midnight Son Jacob, the horror hero, has a rare skin condition that prevents him from being in sunlight (much like a vampire—and, oh yes, he drinks blood, too.) He finds happiness with Mary, a local bartender who burns the midnight oil, until his condition worsens and he becomes the prime suspect in a string of gruesome murders.
3. I Saw the Devil: Unrated Version When a bloodthirsty, psychopath rapist slaughters the pregnant wife of a secret service agent, the grief-stricken husband exacts revenge. This bloody thriller shows us the truly depraved side of humanity.
4. The Woman You’ve heard of feral cats, but what about a crazy-looking, feral woman living in the woods behind your house? And we thought coyotes were a problem.
5. Don’t miss autograph signings and Q&A sessions with various directors and horror film icons throughout the weekend. We’re especially excited to meet Eileen Dietz (The Exorcist), Mark Patton (Nightmare on Elm Street Two), and Camille Keaton (I Spit on Your Grave).