Professional sports teams across the country have decided the next great business ploy is to create entertainment districts that are an extension of the team’s brand and in-stadium experience. The Rockies’ plan to get in on that game, a 659,000-square-foot mixed-use development dubbed McGregor Square, is currently under construction. Before it opens in January 2021, we take you on a tour of its offerings.
- Ahead of last season, the “Evolution of the Ball” sculpture by local artist Lonnie Hanzon was moved from the Wynkoop Street entrance of Coors Field to make room for McGregor Square construction. The archway will be placed back in its original spot adjacent to the development.
- The first floor of the hotel will house the Rockies Experience, which will feature interactive displays celebrating the team’s history.
- A 176-room hotel along 20th Street will be operated by Sage Hospitality, the same group that runs the Maven Hotel in the Dairy Block.
- Office space—approximately 205,000 square feet of it—will comprise the bulk of the building running along 19th Street. Notably, WeWork was in talks to lease the entire space, but a deal remains uninked given the co-working startup’s recent financial troubles.
- A food hall curated by McGregor Square management will have room for seven yet-to-be-named vendors at the corner of Wazee and 19th streets.
- The 13-story building between 19th and 20th streets on Wazee Street will feature 103 private residences. The base price for these condos is $599,000.
- Daniel Aizenman—a senior principal at Stantec, the firm that designed McGregor—hopes the main courtyard’s circular shape creates a roomlike quality that makes people feel comfortable staying to lounge or to watch Rockies games on the area’s big-screen TV.