Georgia’s Election Integrity Act of 2021 may be the biggest unforced error of the legislative season. After critics argued the law would limit minority voters’ access to the ballot box, MLB moved July 13’s All-Star Game from Atlanta to Denver in protest. The Peach State’s loss is long-suffering Colorado baseball fans’ gain, and we plan to fully celebrate this rare win—by sharing a Denver-themed drinking game for those watching at home.
Take a Sip Every Time…
- Someone talks about voting laws—and maybe throw in an extra gulp if you fear for our democracy.
- The Rockies get a compliment for pulling together the All-Star weekend on such short notice.
- An announcer calls Coors Field a hitter’s [insert any synonym for “dream” here].
- That dramatic BetMGM commercial starring Jamie Foxx is shown.
- You see an aerial shot of McGregor Square, the brand-new, 659,000-square-foot development spanning the block next to Coors Field. Sure, the Rockies-owned entertainment hub feels like an attempt to buy Denverites’ love in place of fielding a halfway decent team—but hey, at least it has a food hall.
- The camera pans to Jared Polis—a fixture in the annual congressional baseball game that pits Republicans against Democrats before he became Colorado’s governor—cheering in the stands. Make the first one a shot if he’s painted his face. (Please, Jared, we need this.)
Finish Your Drink Each Time…
- The Nolan Arenado trade is called one of the worst in baseball history. (Pour some out as a farewell to general manager Jeff Bridich.)
- Peyton Manning is onscreen.
- A Rockies batter (the host team gets to send at least one player) either strikes out or gets walked.
- An angry Rockies fan is interviewed and demands the Monforts sell the team.
Shotgun a Beer Whenever…
- The video of Dinger, the Rockies’ purple triceratops mascot, hatching out of an egg is televised. (If they don’t show it, look it up. You won’t regret it.)
- Someone not from Colorado makes a joke about marijuana. Alternatively, take a 2.5-milligram edible; when in Rome….
- A long montage of exciting moments from the All-Star Game in 1998, the last time the Midsummer Classic was hosted in the Mile High City, begins rolling.
Do a Shot if…
- A midafternoon summer thunderstorm (or snow) forces a brief delay.
- You hear the phrase “cancel culture.”
- A cat storms the field. Make it a double if it’s the same gray feline that raced across the outfield when the Rockies played the Dodgers on April 2.