ABOUT 5280 PUBLISHING:
5280 magazine, the largest local magazine in Colorado, was first published in 1993. Its commitment to high-quality journalism has made it one of the country’s most respected regional publications. Since 2005, 5280 has been a finalist for six National Magazine Awards, the industry’s highest honor. It has been named one of America’s top five city magazines by the City and Regional Magazine Association on three separate occasions. With a total distribution of 85,000, 5280 outsells most national magazines on area newsstands and has higher market penetration than any other city magazine in America. In 2011, 5280 Publishing began expanding its title portfolio, which now includes 5280 Health, 5280 Home, and 5280 Traveler in addition to the monthly publication of 5280 magazine.
5280 Publishing is an equal opportunity employer.
5280 is currently seeking an experienced photography editor to join its award-winning team. This position will collaborate with art and editorial staffs to maintain and enhance the publication’s visual component.
• Applicants must be based in Denver/Boulder
• College degree (preferably in photography) and four to five years of experience as a photo editor (magazine setting preferred)
• Ability to work creatively and collaboratively in a team environment with art and editorial staffs
• Excellent communication and time-management skills; strong organizational skills; the ability to multitask is very important
• Must be resourceful, detail-oriented, and possess strong problem-solving skills
• Fluency in Photoshop, Bridge, InDesign, and Google docs
• Must have knowledge of stock photography; both large and boutique agencies as well as “direct to photographer” sources
• Contacts/experience within the Denver/Front Range/Colorado photographic community is a plus
• Managing assistant photo editor as well as any photo interns
• Working closely with art department and editorial staff to determine assigned and pickup photographic needs for each issue
• Selecting and hiring photographers while working within monthly budget
• Coordinating photo shoots, including:
—assisting photographer in gathering props and/or products
—hiring stylists and models as needed
—researching shoot locations and/or studio space as needed
• Attending key shoots to ensure the magazine’s vision is carried out
• Overseeing monthly database of photographer contracts and invoices, as well as an up-to-date calendar of all scheduled photo shoots
• Maintaining current—and developing new—relationships with photographers, including reviewing samples and portfolios
• Managing archive/database of previous photography
• Researching stock photography through online sources
• Thinking conceptually and creating innovative photography solutions
• Working in Photoshop with images as necessary (resizing, color-correcting, minor retouching, creating silos)
• Position reports to the art director
Freelance Digital Journalists / News Writers
Are you a professional, Colorado-based journalist looking for opportunities to expand your portfolio and connect with your community? Do you feel passionate about the issues facing Denver, Boulder, and the surrounding areas? Do you want to share the stories of the extraordinary individuals, businesses, and organizations that make this state a great place to live? If so, 5280 wants to hear from you!
Our digital team is actively seeking reliable, talented, and deadline-oriented freelance writers to pitch and produce articles for 5280.com. The ideal applicants will be experienced journalists with strong clips, and well-developed reporting, research, and writing skills, who live in Colorado and/or are well-versed in happenings around the state.
Specifically, we are looking for two types of writers:
- Freelance writers who will pitch ideas (subject to editor approval) on a per-article basis. Most articles will range in length from 250 to 500 words. However, the editors will also consider longform pitches up to 1,000 words, depending on subject and writer. Compensation is dependent on experience and article length, and determined on a story-by-story basis.
- Freelance news writers who will be contracted to write short, timely pieces daily or multiple times per week. These writers will pitch ideas based on the news cycle, as well as field assignments from 5280.com editors. News writers will be able to work quickly and effectively, source information appropriately, and never hesitate to do extra research to make a story stand out.
We are particularly seeking freelance coverage in the areas of news, fashion, health & wellness, and kids & family; however, writing opportunities are not limited to these categories. Article pitches in any of our content categories should be locally focused and timely, and include a web-friendly headline, short description, and potential run date. 5280 follows AP style, and freelancers must be willing to adhere to our editorial policies.
TO APPLY: Introduce yourself! Email [email protected] with your resume, three clips, a few well-rounded story ideas, and your availability.
Audience Development Internship
5280 magazine is looking for a qualified candidate to fill a newly opened internship position in support of the manager of audience development. Audience development is responsible for and oversees the general distribution of the company’s primary product, 5280 magazine, as well as its ancillary publications, digital editions, e-newsletters, and the 5280 Cookbook. The opportunity will give the candidate access to the financial and operational side of the magazine, as well as exposure to the behind-the-scenes environment of the publishing business.
Requirements of the position:
High degree of organization and attention to detail
Strong financial analytical skills with high proficiency in Microsoft Excel
Knowledge of email, online, and social media marketing
Strong self-motivation with a proactive, teamwork attitude
Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
This position will assist in:
Producing subscription and tracking reports using the company’s Excel-based circulation model
Assisting in the analysis of print and digital media promotion, and campaign programs.
Performing newsstand-sales reporting as well as periodic field verification of newsstand distribution to various retail accounts
DETAILS: This is a part-time, paid position (not to exceed 30 hours per week) with a minimum expected duration of 90 days.
TO APPLY: Please email cover letter and resumé to [email protected].
No phone calls, please.
Marketing Internship Program
5280 is looking for a well-organized, creative person with strong writing skills, an outgoing personality and an eagerness to learn.
This person will report directly to the marketing director and work closely with the marketing and sales assistant to create media lists, write press releases, and pitch both local and national media. This person will also help draft sponsorship proposals, assist with the coordination of small events, attend meetings with local community leaders, and learn the ins and outs of branding and marketing.
This internship provides a professional environment that allows interns to work side-by-side with an award-winning editorial and web staff and witness the behind-the-scenes of the magazine publishing business while providing assistance to the marketing director and sales staff.
DETAILS: A commitment of 90 days is preferred. The internship is paid.
TO APPLY: Please email a cover letter and resumé to [email protected] in a PDF format.
We accept applications all year long. No phone calls please.
Editorial Internship Program
5280 offers editorial internship positions in the summer, fall, and spring. Internships are hands-on and involve a variety of responsibilities as well as the opportunity to regularly interact with the editorial staff.
Primary duties include fact-checking stories, contributing research to larger stories and feature packages, and writing shorter stories for the front-of-the-book and dining sections. Interns also enter descriptions for the calendar and dining listings sections, and write for 5280.com.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions and mentorship. Training sessions are run by editors and provide an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. The mentorship program pairs each intern with two editors, offering interns a chance to gain firsthand knowledge about a career in journalism.
Although a magazine, journalism, or English degree (or working toward a degree) is preferred, it's not required. Published clips are required (college newspaper is OK). A commitment of three to four days a week is preferred. The internship is paid.
Email a cover letter, resumé, and three to five published clips to [email protected]. Please address how your life experiences have informed the way you approach journalism in your cover letter.
Deadlines for applications: Summer (March 1); Fall (July 1); Spring (November 1).
Digital-Editorial Internship Program
5280 offers an editorial internship program focused on digital and multimedia storytelling. Interns work closely with the editorial staff on projects, which may include (but are not limited to) video production, writing and reporting stories, research, social media, and website maintenance.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions and mentorship. Training sessions are run by editors and provide an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. Interns are also paired with an editor to gain firsthand knowledge about a career in journalism.
Although a magazine journalism, or English degree, (or working toward a degree) is preferred, it's not required. Published clips or writing samples are required. Applicants with a background in photography, video (5280 uses Final Cut Pro), HTML coding, or social media are encouraged to apply. A commitment of 20 hours a week is required. The internship is paid.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and three to five published clips (including video or a website, if applicable) to [email protected] with “digital internship” in the subject line.
Always accepting applications.
Design & Production Internship
5280 offers a three-to-six month graphic design internship that facilitates the design needs of the advertising, marketing, and audience development departments.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE IS/HAS:
- Currently enrolled or has recently graduated with a degree in graphic design
- Thorough, detail-oriented, and comfortable handling multiple tasks at once
- Strong typography skills with the ability to perform tasks using style sheets
- Keen design instincts and the ability to make quick decisions about type, image, and layout
- Motivated and punctual with a good work ethic and passion for design
- Reliable transportation to our lower downtown office
- Great communication skills and the ability to take direction/criticism well
- Good working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Available to work a minimum of 20 hours per week
INTERNSHIP BENEFITS INCLUDE:
- Option to participate in 5280 magazine events
- Ability to network with the magazine's entire staff
- Inclusion in the magazine's printed masthead
- Opportunity to add work to your portfolio
DETAILS: A commitment of 90 days is preferred. The internship is paid.
In a single PDF, please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 design samples to [email protected]. Applications with links to portfolios will not be considered. We are always accepting applications for this position. No phone calls please.