ABOUT 5280 PUBLISHING
5280, the largest local magazine in Colorado, was first published in 1993. Its commitment to high-quality journalism has made it one of the country’s most respected regional publications. Since 2005, 5280 has been a finalist for six National Magazine Awards, the industry’s highest honor, and it has been named one of America’s top five city magazines by the City and Regional Magazine Association on three separate occasions. With a total distribution of 90,000, 5280 outsells most national magazines on area newsstands. 5280 also publishes 5280 Home, 5280 Health, and 5280 Traveler magazines, and in 2016 acquired Colorado Parent and its family of six ancillary titles.
5280 Publishing is an equal opportunity employer.
5280 is seeking a food editor to join its dynamic, award-winning staff. The ideal candidate should be a creative, sophisticated, collaborative editor who has a passion for food, drink, restaurants, and food-and-dining culture; a love of both print and digital journalism; and a broad editorial skill set.
* Overseeing all aspects of the magazine’s food/dining content, including lineups for the monthly Eat & Drink section of the magazine, franchise feature packages (e.g., “Where To Eat Now” and “25 Best Restaurants”), and digital food coverage.
* Editing monthly Eat & Drink section of the magazine, including monthly restaurant review; writing/editing feature packages; writing/editing stories for 5280.com and our weekly Table Talk newsletter
* Overseeing additional food/dining packages, such as “Food Lover’s Guide” and “Cheap Eats,” and conceiving of new packages on food and food culture in Denver and Colorado
* Contributing to other sections of the magazine
* Frequent TV, radio and event appearances
* Frequent (sometimes daily) restaurant and food-industry events
* Frequent dining out to stay abreast of trends, changing menus, and new chefs
* Forging and managing relationships with restaurateurs, chefs, and the industry as a whole
* An active social media presence
* Managing 5280's assistant food editor and dining intern
* Weekly writing/editing for 5280.com
* Writing and/or editing long-form narrative departments and features
* Five-plus years of magazine writing and editing experience, preferably on the food beat
* Experience conceiving, producing, editing, and managing lively, multifaceted service packages
* Experience editing and/or overseeing a dynamic magazine section
* Ability to break news and drive local conversation through digital stories and packages
* Capacity to interact collaboratively with art and photo departments
* Strong creative, conceptual thinking
* Strong mentoring skills
* Strong freelance contacts
* Media experience (TV and radio)
* Strong InDesign skills and familiarity with multiple content-management systems a plus
TO APPLY: Candidates should send a brief cover letter, resumé, and four PDF work samples to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
5280 is seeking an account manager to manage and grow an active-account portfolio with unlimited new business potential. The company publishes the premier Denver-based lifestyle magazine 5280, as well as 5280 Home, 5280 Traveler, 5280 Health and Colorado Parent Magazines.
This energetic and self-driven person will work with business owners, marketing directors, and advertising agencies, both locally and nationally. The ideal candidate will have at least two years of proven media sales experience—across print, digital and event sponsorship platforms. You should be motivated, organized, goal-oriented, and possess an outgoing personality and professional demeanor. A 5280 account manager must be able to prospect, make cold calls, and develop new business while maintaining existing accounts. Basic computer skills are required; Macintosh experience a plus. Detail-oriented, and excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. You must be able to thrive in an informal, collaborative, and deadline driven environment.
Salary and benefits are competitive. 5280 Publishing is an equal opportunity employer.
TO APPLY: Send your resume and salary history to [email protected].
No phone calls please.
Marketing Internship Program
5280 is looking for a well-organized, creative person with strong writing skills, an outgoing personality and an eagerness to learn.
This person will report directly to the marketing director and work closely with the marketing and sales assistant to create media lists, write press releases, and pitch both local and national media. This person will also help draft sponsorship proposals, assist with the coordination of small events, attend meetings with local community leaders, and learn the ins and outs of branding and marketing.
This internship provides a professional environment that allows interns to work side-by-side with an award-winning editorial and web staff and witness the behind-the-scenes of the magazine publishing business while providing assistance to the marketing director and sales staff.
DETAILS: A commitment of 90 days is preferred. The internship is paid.
TO APPLY: Please email a cover letter and resumé to [email protected] in a PDF format.
Deadline for applications: Summer (February 23), Fall (June 25) Spring (October 25).
Editorial Internship Program
5280 offers editorial internship positions in the summer, fall, and spring. Internships are hands-on and involve a variety of responsibilities as well as the opportunity to regularly interact with the editorial staff.
Primary duties include fact-checking stories, contributing research to larger stories and feature packages, and writing shorter stories for the front-of-the-book and dining sections. Interns also enter descriptions for the calendar and dining listings sections, and write for 5280.com.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions and mentorship. Training sessions are run by editors and provide an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. The mentorship program pairs each intern with two editors, offering interns a chance to gain firsthand knowledge about a career in journalism.
Although a magazine, journalism, or English degree (or working toward a degree) is preferred, it's not required. Published clips are required (college newspaper is OK). A commitment of three to four days a week is preferred. The internship is paid.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and three to five published clips to [email protected].
Deadlines for applications: Summer (March 1); Fall (July 1); Spring (November 1).
Digital-Editorial Internship Program
5280 offers an editorial internship program focused on digital and multimedia storytelling. Interns work closely with the editorial staff on projects, which may include (but are not limited to) video production, writing and reporting stories, research, social media, and website maintenance.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions and mentorship. Training sessions are run by editors and provide an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. Interns are also paired with an editor to gain firsthand knowledge about a career in journalism.
Although a magazine journalism, or English degree, (or working toward a degree) is preferred, it's not required. Published clips or writing samples are required. Applicants with a background in photography, video (5280 uses Final Cut Pro), HTML coding, or social media are encouraged to apply. A commitment of 20 hours a week is required. The internship is paid.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and three to five published clips (including video or a website, if applicable) to [email protected] with “digital internship” in the subject line.
Always accepting applications.
Design & Production Internship
5280 offers a three-to-six month internship position that works closely with the advertising, marketing, design and production, and digital departments.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Is currently enrolled or has recently graduated with a degree in graphic design.
- Is thorough and detail-oriented and comfortable handling multiple tasks at once.
- Has strong typography skills with the ability to perform tasks using style sheets.
- Possesses keen design instincts and the ability to make quick decisions about type, image, and layout in order to put together a cohesive and well-designed piece.
- Is motivated and punctual with a good work ethic and passion for design.
- Has reliable transportation to our lower downtown office.
- Has great communication skills and the ability to take direction/criticism when needed and apply that to his/her design.
- Has good working knowledge of Adobe CS5, particularly InDesign.
- Has strong familiarity with Macs.
- Has basic knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Is available to work a minimum of 28 hours per week.
INTERNSHIP BENEFITS INCLUDE:
- Option to participate in 5280 magazine events.
- Ability to network with the magazine's entire staff.
- Inclusion in the magazine's printed masthead.
- Opportunity to add work to your portfolio.
DETAILS: A commitment of 90 days is preferred. The internship is paid.
In order to be considered for this position you must email a cover letter, resumé, and no more than 3 design samples in one single PDF file to [email protected]. We are always accepting applications for this position.