ABOUT 5280 PUBLISHING:
5280 magazine, the largest local magazine in Colorado, was first published in 1993. Its commitment to high-quality journalism has made it one of the country’s most respected regional publications. Since 2005, 5280 has been a finalist for six National Magazine Awards, the industry’s highest honor. It has been named one of America’s top five city magazines by the City and Regional Magazine Association on three separate occasions. With a total distribution of 85,000, 5280 outsells most national magazines on area newsstands and has higher market penetration than any other city magazine in America. In 2011, 5280 Publishing began expanding its title portfolio, which now includes 5280 Health, 5280 Home, and 5280 Traveler in addition to the monthly publication of 5280 magazine.
5280 magazine is seeking a digital editor to join its dynamic and growing digital editorial team. The ideal candidate should be a multitalented editor who is able to deftly toggle between the long-lead deadlines of the monthly magazine and the fast-paced environment of digital publishing.
- Day-to-day administration of 5280.com, including:
- Creating and maintaining daily story schedule (approximately four to eight stories per day) and producing digital-exclusive features
- Assigning and editing digital articles
- Overseeing all social media
- Monitoring and analyzing editorial content via Google Analytics and Chartbeat
Other responsibilities include:
- Overseeing digital editorial budget and freelance invoicing
- Overseeing all editorial newsletters
- Top-editing videos
- Supervising print-to-digital conversions for 5280 print products, including all 5280 ancillary publications
- Identifying and supervising print content that will receive enhanced digital treatment
- Serving as a liaison to business, sales, and marketing departments on digital projects
- Serving as a liaison to multiple departments on digital directories
- Supervising digital editors and digital interns
- Three-plus years of digital and/or magazine editing experience
- Experience conceptualizing, producing, editing, and managing lively, multifaceted digital-exclusive packages and stories
- Knowledge of HTML, Drupal, Google Analytics, Silverpop, Adobe Creative Suite, and Final Cut Pro is preferred
- Capacity to interact collaboratively with multiple departments throughout the company
- Strong creative, conceptual thinking
- Strong managing/leadership/mentoring skills
- Strong freelance contacts
Candidates should send a brief cover letter, resumé, and four PDF work samples to [email protected].
5280 magazine is seeking an associate editor to join its award-winning staff. The ideal candidate should be a creative, sophisticated, and collaborative editor who has a passion for magazine making.
- Co-editing 5280’s front-of-the-book sections, Front Range and Scene
- Project managing/writing three service packages annually
- Assigning and editing Backstory
- Writing for all sections of the magazine
- Writing for 5280.com weekly
- Two-plus years of magazine editing experience, preferably with front-of-the-book sections
- Experience conceptualizing and executing visually surprising stories and pages
- Ability to interact collaboratively with art and photo departments
- Capacity to manage, interact with, and cultivate freelancers
- Ability to conceptualize digital companion pieces
- Knowledge of Word, InDesign, and basic HTML preferred
Candidates should send a brief cover letter, resumé, and three PDF work samples to [email protected].
Junior Designer & Production Coordinator
5280 is seeking an administrative production and design role to serve the needs of the design + production, advertising and marketing departments. The ideal candidate is highly organized with a strong attention to detail. Applicants should also be able to manage his or her schedule effectively, be self-motivated and proactive in seeking opportunities to assist others on projects, i.e. a highly organized multi-tasker. This person should know how to balance day-to-day tasks with special projects while consistently meeting tight deadlines and be able to thrive in an informal, collaborative, and fast-paced environment.
Applicants must have:
- Some previous design experience; an interest in advertising, photography, and all things design.
- The ability to take a design or layout and translate it into multiple digital or print sizes with exceptional attention to detail.
- A solid technical understanding of Adobe CS (especially InDesign), FileMaker, Mac OS, MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Must be confident in his or her knowledge of industry-standard printing practices.
- The ability to read and edit (but not necessarily create) HTML code and tagging.
- Experience with content management systems such as Drupal or Wordpress are a plus.
- Production and design support for print and web ad design, special advertising sections, event and promotional designs and implementation, and any other various design needs as determined by art team members.
- Developing sales sheets, PowerPoint presentations, and any other designs necessary to support the sales staff and its initiatives.
- Provide support for other design + production team members based on workflow or in the event of absence.
- Serve as administrative liason between the sales department and production team.
- Work with sales team to ensure digital and print ads booked accurately and mapped correctly in our system.
- Serve as back-up front desk receptionist when office manager is unavailable.
5280 Publishing offers a laid back and humane work environment, a creative downtown workplace, and the chance to do great work with an excellent team. Salary and benefits included. 5280 is an equal opportunity employer.
TO APPLY: In order to be considered for this position you must e-mail a cover letter, resume, and 3 design samples in a single document.
Via e-mail: [email protected]
Via US Mail: 5280 Publishing, Inc. 1515 Wazee Street Suite 400 Denver, CO 80202
No phone calls.
5280 is looking for a well-organized, creative person with strong writing skills, an outgoing personality and an eagerness to learn for a 3-6 month internship within the marketing department.
This person will report directly to the marketing director and work closely with the marketing and sales assistant to create media lists, write press releases and pitch both local and national media. This person will also help draft sponsorship proposals, assist with the coordination of small events, attend meetings with local community leaders and learn the ins and outs of branding and marketing.
This internship provides a professional environment that allows interns to work side-by-side with an award-winning editorial and web staff and witness the behind-the-scenes of the magazine publishing business while providing assistance to the marketing director and sales staff.
Details: A commitment of 90 days is preferred. The internship is paid.
To apply: Please e-mail a cover letter and resume to [email protected] in a PDF format.
Deadline for applications: Summer (February 23), Fall (June 25) Spring (October 25).
Editorial Internship Program
5280 offers an internship program in the summer, fall, and spring. Internships are hands-on and involve a variety of responsibilities as well as the opportunity to regularly interact with the editorial staff.
Primary duties include fact-checking stories, contributing research to larger stories and feature packages, and writing shorter stories for the front-of-the-book and dining sections. Interns also enter descriptions for the calendar and dining listings sections and write for 5280.com.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions and mentorship. Training sessions are run by editors and provide an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. The mentorship program pairs each intern with two editors, offering interns a chance to gain firsthand knowledge about a career in journalism.
Although a magazine, journalism, or English degree (or working toward a degree) is preferred, it's not required. Published clips or writing samples are required (college newspaper is OK). A commitment of two to four days a week is preferred. The internship is paid.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and three to five published clips to [email protected].
Deadlines for applications: summer (February 23); fall (June 25); spring (October 25).
Digital-Editorial Internship Program
5280 offers an editorial internship program focused on digital and multimedia storytelling. Interns work closely with the editorial staff on projects, which may include (but are not limited to) video production, writing and reporting stories, research, social media, and website maintenance.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions and mentorship. Training sessions are run by editors and provide an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. Interns are also paired with an editor to gain firsthand knowledge about a career in journalism.
Although a magazine journalism or English degree (or working toward a degree) is preferred, it's not required. Published clips or writing samples are required. Applicants with a background in photography, video (5280 uses Final Cut Pro), HTML coding, or social media are encouraged to apply. A commitment of 20 hours a week is preferred. The internship is paid.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and three to five published clips (including video or a website, if applicable) to [email protected] with “multimedia internship” in the subject line. Please indicate in your cover letter if you are more interested in a social media or video emphasis. Deadlines for applications: summer (March 5); fall (July 5); spring (November 5).
Photography Internship Program
5280 offers a photography/art internship program in the summer, fall, and spring. Internships are hands-on and involve a variety of responsibilities as well as the opportunity to be part of a busy art department.
Primary duties include photography research, photo editing, food photography, and shooting various assignments that will be published online and in print issues. Duties also include assisting on various shoots.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions presented by editors providing an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. Interns will learn about photography resources in Denver and beyond.
Although a photography major is preferred, it's not required. A commitment of three to four days a week is preferred. The internship is paid.
- InDesign is a plus but not required
- Image conversion
Required Equipment: DSLR Camera
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and links to online portfolios to [email protected].
Deadline for applications: Spring (January-June), November 1; Fall (June-January), April 1.
Design & Production Internship
5280 is looking for a well-organized, creative person with an outgoing personality and an eagerness to learn for a 3–6 month internship. Interns will work within the advertising, marketing, design and production, and digital departments.
The ideal candidate:
- Is currently enrolled or has recently graduated with a degree in graphic design.
- Is thorough and detail-oriented and comfortable handling multiple tasks at once.
- Has strong typography skills with the ability to perform tasks using style sheets.
- Possesses keen design instincts and the ability to make quick decisions about type, image, and layout in order to put together a cohesive and well-designed piece.
- Is motivated and punctual with a good work ethic and passion for design.
- Has reliable transportation to our lower downtown office.
- Has great communication skills and the ability to take direction/criticism when needed and apply that to his/her design.
- Has good working knowledge of Adobe CS5, particularly InDesign.
- Has strong familiarity with Macs.
- Has basic knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Is available to work a minimum of 28 hours per week.
Additional skills that would be helpful but are not necessary are:
- Photography skills and ownership of a digital SLR camera.
- Familiarity with Apple Final Cut and managing video workflow.
Internship benefits include:
- Option to participate in 5280 magazine events.
- Ability to network with the magazine's entire staff.
- Inclusion in the magazine's printed masthead.
- Opportunity to add work to your portfolio.
- The internship is paid.
In order to be considered for this position you must email a cover letter, resumé, and 3 design samples in a single PDF file to [email protected].
Deadlines for applications: Spring (January 15); Summer (April 15); Fall (Extended to July 31); Winter (October 15).