ABOUT 5280 PUBLISHING:
5280 magazine, the largest local magazine in Colorado, was first published in 1993. Its commitment to high-quality journalism has made it one of the country’s most respected regional publications. Since 2005, 5280 has been a finalist for six National Magazine Awards, the industry’s highest honor. It has been named one of America’s top five city magazines by the City and Regional Magazine Association on three separate occasions. With a total distribution of 85,000, 5280 outsells most national magazines on area newsstands and has higher market penetration than any other city magazine in America. In 2011, 5280 Publishing began expanding its title portfolio, which now includes 5280 Health, 5280 Home, and 5280 Traveler in addition to the monthly publication of 5280 magazine.
5280 Publishing is an equal opportunity employer.
5280 is seeking an editorial assistant to join its award-winning, dynamic staff. The ideal candidate should be a creative, sophisticated, collaborative, and organized editor, who has a passion for magazine making and a broad editorial skill set.
* Editing and managing 5280’s Calendar section
* Managing the magazine’s editorial internship program
* Overseeing the magazine’s research/fact checking department
* Fact checking service and narrative features
* Assisting editors with research projects
* Writing for all sections of the magazine, but primarily front of the book
* Regular blogging for 5280.com
* Writing departments and features; project managing service packages
* Contributing to ancillary publications like 5280 Health, 5280 Traveler, and 5280 Home
* A bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism is a plus. Previous magazine experience preferred. Previous magazine internships required.
* Fanatical attention to detail and accuracy
* Strong organizational and time-management skills
* Demonstrated leadership abilities
* Capacity to interact collaboratively with art and photo departments
* Ability to meet deadlines
We offer a laid-back and humane work environment, a creative downtown workplace, and the chance to do great work with an excellent team. Salary and benefits are competitive. 5280 Publishing is an equal-opportunity employer.
TO APPLY :
Candidates should send a brief cover letter, resumé, and three published work samples (in PDF format) to [email protected]
Advertising Sales Coordinator
Advertising Sales Coordinator will work with Account Executives on the media sales team to support the fulfillment of client needs. Duties will include pre-sell support, managing administrative tasks, assisting with proposals, and providing clients with reports on their advertising campaign. Interested candidate will have a desire to work in a sales environment and develop a career in the media industry. The ideal candidate will have acute attention to detail, be able to juggle multiple projects, deadlines and personalities. Must be able to deliver a high level of customer care and keep order in an often chaotic and informal environment.
Computer skills required. Mac OS, Microsoft Office, and Google Docs experience a plus. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
Marketing Internship Program
5280 is looking for a well-organized, creative person with strong writing skills, an outgoing personality and an eagerness to learn.
This person will report directly to the marketing director and work closely with the marketing and sales assistant to create media lists, write press releases, and pitch both local and national media. This person will also help draft sponsorship proposals, assist with the coordination of small events, attend meetings with local community leaders, and learn the ins and outs of branding and marketing.
This internship provides a professional environment that allows interns to work side-by-side with an award-winning editorial and web staff and witness the behind-the-scenes of the magazine publishing business while providing assistance to the marketing director and sales staff.
DETAILS: A commitment of 90 days is preferred. The internship is paid.
TO APPLY: Please email a cover letter and resumé to [email protected] in a PDF format.
Deadline for applications: Summer (February 23), Fall (June 25) Spring (October 25).
Editorial Internship Program
5280 offers editorial internship positions in the summer, fall, and spring. Internships are hands-on and involve a variety of responsibilities as well as the opportunity to regularly interact with the editorial staff.
Primary duties include fact-checking stories, contributing research to larger stories and feature packages, and writing shorter stories for the front-of-the-book and dining sections. Interns also enter descriptions for the calendar and dining listings sections, and write for 5280.com.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions and mentorship. Training sessions are run by editors and provide an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. The mentorship program pairs each intern with two editors, offering interns a chance to gain firsthand knowledge about a career in journalism.
Although a magazine, journalism, or English degree (or working toward a degree) is preferred, it's not required. Published clips are required (college newspaper is OK). A commitment of three to four days a week is preferred. The internship is paid.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and three to five published clips to [email protected].
Deadlines for applications: Summer (March 1); Fall (July 1); Spring (November 1).
Digital-Editorial Internship Program
5280 offers an editorial internship program focused on digital and multimedia storytelling. Interns work closely with the editorial staff on projects, which may include (but are not limited to) video production, writing and reporting stories, research, social media, and website maintenance.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions and mentorship. Training sessions are run by editors and provide an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. Interns are also paired with an editor to gain firsthand knowledge about a career in journalism.
Although a magazine journalism, or English degree, (or working toward a degree) is preferred, it's not required. Published clips or writing samples are required. Applicants with a background in photography, video (5280 uses Final Cut Pro), HTML coding, or social media are encouraged to apply. A commitment of 20 hours a week is required. The internship is paid.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and three to five published clips (including video or a website, if applicable) to [email protected] with “digital internship” in the subject line.
Always accepting applications.
Design & Production Internship
5280 offers a three-to-six month internship position that works closely with the advertising, marketing, design and production, and digital departments.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Is currently enrolled or has recently graduated with a degree in graphic design.
- Is thorough and detail-oriented and comfortable handling multiple tasks at once.
- Has strong typography skills with the ability to perform tasks using style sheets.
- Possesses keen design instincts and the ability to make quick decisions about type, image, and layout in order to put together a cohesive and well-designed piece.
- Is motivated and punctual with a good work ethic and passion for design.
- Has reliable transportation to our lower downtown office.
- Has great communication skills and the ability to take direction/criticism when needed and apply that to his/her design.
- Has good working knowledge of Adobe CS5, particularly InDesign.
- Has strong familiarity with Macs.
- Has basic knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Is available to work a minimum of 28 hours per week.
INTERNSHIP BENEFITS INCLUDE:
- Option to participate in 5280 magazine events.
- Ability to network with the magazine's entire staff.
- Inclusion in the magazine's printed masthead.
- Opportunity to add work to your portfolio.
DETAILS: A commitment of 90 days is preferred. The internship is paid.
In order to be considered for this position you must email a cover letter, resumé, and no more than 3 design samples in one single PDF file to [email protected]. We are always accepting applications for this position.