ABOUT 5280 PUBLISHING:
5280 magazine, the largest local magazine in Colorado, was first published in 1993. Its commitment to high-quality journalism has made it one of the country’s most respected regional publications. Since 2005, 5280 has been a finalist for six National Magazine Awards, the industry’s highest honor. It has been named one of America’s Top 5 city magazines by the City and Regional Magazine Association on three separate occasions. With a total distribution of 85,000, 5280 outsells most national magazines on area newsstands, and has a higher market penetration than any other city magazine in America. In 2011, 5280 Publishing began expanding its title portfolio, which now includes 5280 Health, 5280 Home, and 5280 Traveler in addition to the monthly publication of 5280 magazine.
Digital Account Executive
5280 Publishing, a successful Denver-based media company, is seeking an entry level digital account executive to expand a newly developed digital marketplace section with unlimited new business potential. Will work primarily with restaurant accounts and professional services companies such as dentists, doctors and lawyers to develop a digital directories advertising marketplace for the 5280 website. This opportunity is ideal for a candidate looking to cut their teeth in media and launch a career in sales. We are seeking an individual that is self motivated, organized, goal oriented, and possesses an outgoing personality and professional demeanor. Must be able to make cold calls, break new business, maintain existing accounts all while juggling multiple deadlines. Small base salary with commission structure. Excellent health benefits.
Basic computer skills required. Macintosh experience a plus. Detail-oriented, and excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
Email your resume to email@example.com
Associate Art Director
5280, Denver’s city magazine, is looking for a talented, highly creative, and detail-oriented Associate Art Director. Candidates for this position must be passionate about editorial design and work well both independently and collaboratively.
- Designing all front-of-the-book and some feature pages for the magazine; creating beautiful type treatments; developing grids and generating concepts
- Keeping up with current (and historical) design and typographic trends and communicating key insights to the team
- Providing design guidance to junior members of the staff, interns, and freelancers as needed
- Undertaking additional design assignments at the request of the Art Director
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years experience (not including internships); experience with front-of-the-book and service packages a plus
- Expert knowledge of all Adobe programs: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Possess strong typographic ability and a sophisticated design aesthetic
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal), organizational, and time management skills
- Attention to detail and ability to problem-solve; thinking outside the “gray” text box with charticles and infographics
- A positive attitude, flexibility, and strong work ethic
- Experience directing photo shoots is a plus
We offer a laidback and humane work environment, a creative downtown workplace, and the chance to do great work with an excellent team. Salary and benefits are competitive. 5280 Publishing is an equal-opportunity employer.
Email your resume, 3 design samples attached as a pdf (no larger than 10mb) and
salary history to: AssociateADjob@5280.com
No phone calls please.
Advertising & Marketing Designer
5280 Publishing, a successful Denver-based publisher with four magazine titles (5280, 5280 Health, 5280 Home, and 5280 Traveler), is seeking a designer to serve the needs of the advertising, marketing, and circulation departments. We are looking for an individual who is motivated, confident, goal-oriented, and possesses an outgoing personality and professional demeanor. This individual must be able to thrive in an informal, collaborative, and fast-paced environment. 5280 Publishing encourages professional growth for its employees by allowing staffers to wear many hats and learn multiple aspects of the business, and by expecting everyone to go above and beyond his or her job title.
The ideal candidate will have: some previous design experience; an interest in advertising, photography, and all things design; and excellent written and verbal skills. Applicants should have the ability to take a design or layout and translate it into multiple digital or print sizes with exceptional attention to detail. Applicants should also be able to manage his or her schedule effectively and be a highly organized multitasker in order to balance day-to-day tasks with special projects while consistently meeting deadlines. This individual should be self-motivated and proactive in seeking opportunities to assist others on projects and should use any downtime wisely. Candidates should have a solid technical understanding of Adobe CS, Mac OS, MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and must be confident in his or her knowledge of industry-standard printing practices. Experience with content management systems such as Drupal or Wordpress are a plus as is the ability to read and edit HTML code for newsletters and websites.
The job’s responsibilities include:
- Assisting with creative pitches for current and potential advertisers.
- Doing design work for the sales and marketing departments, including print and digital advertiser designs, special advertising sections, event and promotional designs, and other various design needs.
- Developing sales sheets, PowerPoint presentations, and any other designs necessary to support the sales staff and its initiatives.
- Executing design work for the circulation department, including monthly insert cards, bill stuffers, direct mail, special promotions, holiday offers, tip-ons, and polybags.
- Developing HTML eblasts for advertisements and for 5280 special promotions and circulation.
- Creating digital ads for 5280.com and newsletter products.
5280 Publishing offers a laid back and humane work environment, a creative downtown workplace, and the chance to do great work with an excellent team. Salary and benefits included. 5280 is an equal opportunity employer.
To Apply: Send your resume, 3 design samples and salary history to:
Via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Via US Mail: 5280 Publishing, Inc., 1515 Wazee Street Suite 400, Denver, CO 80202
No phone calls please.
5280 is looking for a well-organized, creative person with strong writing skills, an outgoing personality and an eagerness to learn for a 3-6 month internship within the marketing department.
This person will report directly to the marketing director and work closely with the marketing and sales assistant to create media lists, write press releases and pitch both local and national media. This person will also help draft sponsorship proposals, assist with the coordination of small events, attend meetings with local community leaders and learn the ins and outs of branding and marketing.
This internship provides a professional environment that allows interns to work side-by-side with an award-winning editorial and web staff and witness the behind-the-scenes of the magazine publishing business while providing assistance to the marketing director and sales staff.
Details: A commitment of 90 days is preferred. The internship is paid.
To apply: Please e-mail a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Deadline for applications: Summer (March 15), Fall (July 5) Spring (November 5).
No phone calls please.
Editorial Internship Program
5280 offers an internship program in the summer, fall, and spring. Internships are hands-on and involve a variety of responsibilities as well as the opportunity to regularly interact with the editorial staff.
Primary duties include fact-checking stories, contributing research to larger stories and feature packages, and writing shorter stories for the front-of-the-book and dining sections. Interns also enter descriptions for the calendar and dining listings sections, and write for 5280.com.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions and a mentorship. Training sessions are run by editors and provide an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. The mentorship program pairs each intern with two editors, offering a chance to gain firsthand knowledge about a career in journalism.
Although a magazine journalism or English degree (or working toward a degree) is preferred, it's not required. Published clips or writing samples are required (college newspaper is OK). A commitment of two to four days a week is preferred. The internship is paid.
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and three to five published clips to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants interested in the multimedia internship should also include two video or audio clips and indicate in the subject line that they are applying for a multimedia spot.
Deadlines for applications: Summer (March 5); Fall (July 5); Spring (November 5).
No phone calls please.
Digital and Multimedia Editorial Internship Program
5280 offers an editorial internship program focused on digital and multimedia storytelling. Interns work closely with the editorial staff on projects, which may include (but are not limited to) video production, writing and reporting stories, research, social media, and website maintenance.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions and a mentorship. Training sessions are run by editors and provide an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. Interns are also paired with an editor to gain firsthand knowledge about a career in journalism.
Although a magazine journalism or English degree (or working toward a degree) is preferred, it's not required. Published clips or writing samples are required. Applicants with a background in photography, video (5280 uses Final Cut Pro), HTML coding, or Drupal coding are encouraged to apply. A commitment of 20 hours a week is preferred. The internship is paid.
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and three to five published clips, including video or a website, if applicable, to email@example.com with “multimedia internship” in the subject line. Deadlines for applications: Summer (March 5); Fall (July 5); Spring (November 5).
Photography Internship Program
5280 offers a photography/art internship program in the summer, fall, and spring. Internships are hands-on and involve a variety of responsibilities as well as the opportunity to be a part of a busy art department.
Primary duties include photography research, photo editing, food photography, and shooting various sections that will be published in the online and print issues. Duties also include assisting on various shoots.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions presented by editors providing an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. Interns will learn about photography resources in Denver and beyond.
Although a photography major is preferred, it's not required. A commitment of three to four days a week is preferred.
- Indesign plus but not required
- Image Conversion
Required Equipment: DSLR Camera
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and include links to online portfolios to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications: Summer (April 20); Fall (July 20); Spring (November 20).
No phone calls please.
Design + Production Internship
5280 is looking for a well-organized, creative person with an outgoing personality and an eagerness to learn for a 3-6 month internship. Interns will work within the advertising, marketing, design + production and digital departments.
The ideal candidate:
- Is currently enrolled or has recently graduated with a degree in graphic design.
- Is thorough and detail oriented and comfortable handling multiple tasks at once.
- Has strong typography skills with ability to preform tasks using style sheets.
- Possesses keen design instincts and ability to make quick decisions about type, image and layout in order to put together a cohesive and well designed piece.
- Motivated and punctual with a good work ethic and passion for design. - Has reliable transportation to our lower downtown office.
- Great communication skills and ability to take direction/criticism when needed and apply that to their design.
- Good working knowledge of Adobe CS5, particularly with InDesign.
- Strong familiarity with macs.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS.
Additional skills that would be helpful but are not necessary are:
- Photography skills and ownership of a digital SLR camera.
- Familiarity with Apple Final Cut and managing video workflow.
Internship benefits include:
- Option to participate in 5280 Magazine events.
- Ability to network with the magazine's entire staff.
- Inclusion in the magazine's printed masthead.
- Opportunity to add work to your portfolio.
- The internship is paid.
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and 3 design samples to email@example.com.
Deadlines for applications: Summer (March 5); Fall (May 15); Spring (November 5).
No phone calls please.
Colorado coal mining sits at a crossroads.
The Mile High Holidays: A Local Gift Guide
Meet the principal of Columbine High School.
Everything you need to know about Colorado's grand experiment with legalized recreational...
Colorado has pumped nearly $25 million into mental health crisis care since the Aurora theater...