ABOUT 5280 PUBLISHING:
5280 magazine, the largest local magazine in Colorado, was first published in 1993. Its commitment to high-quality journalism has made it one of the country’s most respected regional publications. Since 2005, 5280 has been a finalist for six National Magazine Awards, the industry’s highest honor. It has been named one of America’s Top 5 city magazines by the City and Regional Magazine Association on three separate occasions. With a total distribution of 85,000, 5280 outsells most national magazines on area newsstands, and has a higher market penetration than any other city magazine in America. In 2011, 5280 Publishing began expanding its title portfolio, which now includes 5280 Health, 5280 Home, and 5280 Traveler in addition to the monthly publication of 5280 magazine.
Salary and benefits are competitive. 5280 Publishing is an equal-opportunity employer.
5280 is seeking an editorial assistant to join its award-winning, dynamic staff. The ideal candidate should be a creative, sophisticated, collaborative, and organized editor who has a passion for magazine making and a broad editorial skill set.
- Editing and managing 5280’s Dining Guide and Calendar sections
- Managing the magazine’s editorial internship program
- Overseeing the magazine’s research/fact checking department
- Fact checking service and narrative features
- Assisting editors with research projects
- Writing for all sections of the magazine
- Weekly blogging for 5280.com
- Writing departments and features; project managing service packages
- Contributing to ancillary publications 5280 Health, 5280 Traveler, and 5280 Home
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism is a plus. Previous magazine experience preferred. Previous magazine internships required.
- Fanatical attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Capacity to interact collaboratively with art and photo departments
- Ability to meet deadlines
Candidates should send a brief cover letter, resumé, and three published work samples (in PDF format) to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Associate Art Director
5280 is looking for a talented, highly creative, and detail-oriented Associate Art Director. Candidates for this position must be passionate about editorial design and work well both independently and collaboratively.
- Designing all front-of-the-book and some feature pages for the magazine; creating beautiful type treatments; developing grids and generating concepts
- Keeping up with current (and historical) design and typographic trends and communicating key insights to the team
- Providing design guidance to junior members of the staff, interns, and freelancers as needed
- Undertaking additional design assignments at the request of the Art Director
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years experience (not including internships); experience with front-of-the-book and service packages a plus
- Expert knowledge of all Adobe programs: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Possess strong typographic ability and a sophisticated design aesthetic
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal), organizational, and time management skills
- Attention to detail and ability to problem-solve; thinking outside the “gray” text box with charticles and infographics
- A positive attitude, flexibility, and strong work ethic
- Experience directing photo shoots is a plus
Email your resume, 3 design samples attached as a pdf (no larger than 10mb), and salary history to: AssociateADjob@5280.com. No phone calls please.
5280 is looking for a well-organized, creative person with strong writing skills, an outgoing personality and an eagerness to learn for a 3-6 month internship within the marketing department.
This person will report directly to the marketing director and work closely with the marketing and sales assistant to create media lists, write press releases and pitch both local and national media. This person will also help draft sponsorship proposals, assist with the coordination of small events, attend meetings with local community leaders and learn the ins and outs of branding and marketing.
This internship provides a professional environment that allows interns to work side-by-side with an award-winning editorial and web staff and witness the behind-the-scenes of the magazine publishing business while providing assistance to the marketing director and sales staff.
Details: A commitment of 90 days is preferred. The internship is paid.
To apply: Please e-mail a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Deadline for applications: Summer (March 15), Fall (July 5) Spring (November 5). No phone calls please.
5280 offers an internship program in the summer, fall, and spring. Internships are hands-on and involve a variety of responsibilities as well as the opportunity to regularly interact with the editorial staff.
Primary duties include fact-checking stories, contributing research to larger stories and feature packages, and writing shorter stories for the front-of-the-book and dining sections. Interns also enter descriptions for the calendar and dining listings sections, and write for 5280.com.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions and a mentorship. Training sessions are run by editors and provide an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. The mentorship program pairs each intern with two editors, offering a chance to gain firsthand knowledge about a career in journalism.
Although a magazine, journalism or English degree (or working toward a degree) is preferred, it's not required. Published clips or writing samples are required (college newspaper is OK). A commitment of two to four days a week is preferred. The internship is paid.
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and three to five published clips to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants interested in the multimedia internship should also include two video or audio clips and indicate in the subject line that they are applying for a multimedia spot.
Deadlines for applications: Summer (March 5); Fall (July 5); Spring (November 5). No phone calls please.
Digital/Multimedia Editorial Internship Program
5280 offers an editorial internship program focused on digital and multimedia storytelling. Interns work closely with the editorial staff on projects, which may include (but are not limited to) video production, writing and reporting stories, research, social media, and website maintenance.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions and a mentorship. Training sessions are run by editors and provide an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. Interns are also paired with an editor to gain firsthand knowledge about a career in journalism.
Although a magazine journalism or English degree (or working toward a degree) is preferred, it's not required. Published clips or writing samples are required. Applicants with a background in photography, video (5280 uses Final Cut Pro), HTML coding, or social media are encouraged to apply. A commitment of 20 hours a week is preferred. The internship is paid.
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and three to five published clips, including video or a website, if applicable, to email@example.com with “multimedia internship” in the subject line. Please indicate in your cover letter if you are more interested in a social media or video emphasis. Deadlines for applications: Summer (March 5); Fall (July 5); Spring (November 5).
Photography Internship Program
5280 offers a photography/art internship program in the summer, fall, and spring. Internships are hands-on and involve a variety of responsibilities as well as the opportunity to be a part of a busy art department.
Primary duties include photography research, photo editing, food photography, and shooting various sections that will be published in the online and print issues. Duties also include assisting on various shoots.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions presented by editors providing an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. Interns will learn about photography resources in Denver and beyond.
Although a photography major is preferred, it's not required. A commitment of three to four days a week is preferred.
- Indesign plus but not required
- Image Conversion
Required Equipment: DSLR Camera
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and include links to online portfolios to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications: Summer (April 20); Fall (July 20); Spring (November 20). No phone calls please.
Design + Production Internship
5280 is looking for a well-organized, creative person with an outgoing personality and an eagerness to learn for a 3-6 month internship. Interns will work within the advertising, marketing, production, and digital departments.
The ideal candidate:
- Is currently enrolled or has recently graduated with a degree in graphic design.
- Is thorough and detail oriented and comfortable handling multiple tasks at once.
- Has strong typography skills with ability to preform tasks using style sheets.
- Possesses keen design instincts and ability to make quick decisions about type, image and layout in order to put together a cohesive and well designed piece.
- Motivated and punctual with a good work ethic and passion for design. - Has reliable transportation to our lower downtown office.
- Great communication skills and ability to take direction/criticism when needed and apply that to their design.
- Good working knowledge of Adobe CS5, particularly with InDesign.
- Strong familiarity with macs.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Availability to work a minimum of 28 hours per week.
Additional skills that would be helpful but are not necessary are:
- Photography skills and ownership of a digital SLR camera.
- Familiarity with Apple Final Cut and managing video workflow.
Internship benefits include:
- Option to participate in 5280 Magazine events.
- Ability to network with the magazine's entire staff.
- Inclusion in the magazine's printed masthead.
- Opportunity to add work to your portfolio.
- The internship is paid.
In order to be considered for this position you must e-mail a cover letter, resume, and 3 design samples in a single PDF file to email@example.com.
Deadlines for applications: Summer (April 15); Fall (July 15); Spring (November 15).
No phone calls please.
Meet the man who took charge of the Colorado DOC in the wake of his predecessor’s murder....
The 33 things every Coloradan should know how to do.
This season’s nine top looks for men and women exude a casual but polished elegance...
Behold, the 10 very best restaurants to hit the Mile High City in the past year.
Elegant taste, feminine colors, and just a touch of sparkle: How a city girl got her dream home...