ABOUT 5280 PUBLISHING
5280 Publishing Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salary and benefits.
No phone calls, please.
5280 is seeking an engagement editor to join its award-winning team. This entry-level role will manage 5280 and 5280 Home’s social media feeds, maintain analytics reports, and contribute to the website as a reporter and editor. The ideal candidate should be creative, detail-oriented, and independent, with experience in analytics and social media management for media brands. We’re looking for candidates who can bring fresh ideas on how to further grow and develop 5280’s digital presence alongside a close-knit and hard-working team.
- Writing and scheduling copy for 5280 and 5280 Home’s social media feeds (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest)
- Working with the digital team to develop and implement a comprehensive social media strategy
- Collaborating with print and digital editors to promote magazine and digital-first content cohesively
- Monitoring and responding to messages received via 5280 and 5280 Home’s social media accounts in a timely and appropriate manner
- Pitching, writing, and editing articles for 5280.com
- Assisting with writing, production, and editing of 5280’s editorial newsletters
- Identifying new opportunities for social growth and engagement on existing or new platforms
- Creating weekly and monthly analytics reports using Google Analytics and Parse.ly, and suggesting ways to utilize the data to increase visibility and engagement across our platforms
- Creating and managing social media ads
- Managing a long-term social media calendar and a list of longreads and archive content to re-promote
- Assisting with web production as needed
Requirements and Skills:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism or similar
- Previous social media management experience, especially for a digital and/or local news outlet, preferred
- Experience reporting and writing for the web
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Parse.ly, and social media scheduling apps
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite
- Experience working in content management systems (especially WordPress)
- Photography and video skills strongly recommended
To apply: Please email cover letter, resume, and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Engagement Editor” in the subject line.
Freelance Business Reporter
Are you tuned in to Denver’s business community? Do you follow the companies that are moving to (and leaving) the metro area? Are you a thoughtful journalist who can quickly uncover the most important details of any news story and provide context for why it matters? If so, we want to hear from you.
5280 is seeking a freelance business reporter to work alongside our digital team to spearhead a new newsletter product that seeks to bring the best business news from across the metro area to our engaged and dedicated readers. The ideal candidate will be well-connected in the community, have experience working in an online news environment, and be able to write clean, witty copy on a quick turnaround.
Job responsibilities include:
- Working with 5280’s digital team to determine the format and approach for the biweekly newsletter prior to launch
- Curating a list of interesting and entertaining local business stories from various local and national sources to feature in each edition
- Writing brief synopsis of those stories selected by the editor for inclusion in each edition
- Assisting with the editing process to get each newsletter out to our readers
Compensation for this role will be a flat fee per edition. Additionally, this reporter is encouraged to frequently pitch and write articles related to business and other topics of interest to both 5280.com and 5280 magazine for an additional per-article fee.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resumé, and three relevant clips to email@example.com with “Freelance Business Reporter” in the subject line.
Marketing Internship Program
5280 is looking for a well-organized, creative person with strong writing skills, an outgoing personality, and an eagerness to learn.
Marketing interns enjoy a broad experience in the field of marketing including organizing events, coordinating public relations, interfacing with sales, drafting social media campaigns, and sitting in on partnership and planning meetings. This person will report directly to the marketing and events manager and work closely with the senior marketing director
This internship provides a professional environment that allows interns to work side-by-side with an award-winning editorial and creative services staff. Interns will witness the behind-the-scenes of the magazine publication business while assisting the marketing and sales teams.
Details: A commitment of 90 days is preferred. The internship is paid.
To apply: Please email a cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org in a PDF format. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications: Summer (February 23); Fall (June 25); Spring (October 25).
Editorial Internship Program
5280 offers editorial internship positions in the summer, fall, and spring. Internships are hands-on and involve a variety of responsibilities as well as the opportunity to regularly interact with the editorial staff.
Primary duties include fact-checking stories, contributing research to larger stories and feature packages, and writing shorter stories for the front-of-the-book sections. Interns also enter descriptions for the calendar listings, and write for 5280.com.
We also offer a dining-specific internship for those interested in food writing. The intern will work closely with our food editors to fact-check and write for the dining section of the magazine, enter descriptions for dining guide listings, and write for 5280.com. Those interested should specify dining internship in the subject line of their application email, and tailor their cover letter accordingly.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions and mentorship. Training sessions are run by editors and provide an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. The mentorship program pairs each intern with two editors, offering interns a chance to gain firsthand knowledge about a career in journalism.
Requirements: Although a magazine, journalism, or English degree (or working toward a degree) is preferred, it’s not required. Published clips are required (college newspaper is OK). A commitment of three to four days a week is preferred. The internship is paid.
To apply: Please email a cover letter, resumé, and three to five published clips to email@example.com. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
Deadlines for applications: Summer (March 1); Fall (July 1); Spring (November 1).
Digital-Editorial Internship Program
5280 offers an editorial internship program focused on digital media and online storytelling. Interns work closely with the editorial staff on projects, which may include (but are not limited to) writing and reporting stories, digital production, research, social media, and website maintenance.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions and mentorship. Training sessions are run by editors and provide an overview of how the magazine works, from pitching to editing to art/design. Interns are also paired with an editor to gain firsthand knowledge about a career in journalism.
Requirements: Although a magazine journalism or English degree (or working toward a degree) is preferred, it’s not required. Published clips or writing samples are required. Applicants with a background in photography, video, HTML coding, or social media are encouraged to apply. A commitment of 28 hours a week is required. The internship is paid.
To apply: Please email a cover letter, resumé, and three to five published clips (including video or a website, if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “digital internship” in the subject line. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
Always accepting applications. Please make it clear if you previously or simultaneously have applied to the editorial internship program.
Creative Services Internship
5280 offers a five to six month design internship within the company’s in-house design team. Internships are hands-on and involve a variety of responsibilities as well as the opportunity to work regularly with the advertising, marketing, and events departments. This person will assist with ad campaigns, event collateral, marketing initiatives, and much more. In addition to design responsibilities, this person will help with overflow admin work and provide production assistance as needed.
As part of the program, interns will take part in training sessions conducted by various members of the advertising, marketing, and editorial teams to gain a first-hand grasp on the world of publishing. Interns are also given the opportunity to collaborate with members of design and marketing to refine their portfolio and set them up for success in their future job search.
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated with a degree in graphic design
- Thorough, detail-oriented, and comfortable handling multiple tasks at once
- Possesses keen design instincts and the ability to make quick decisions about type, image, and layout
- Great communication skills and the ability to take direction/criticism and apply to a design
- Strong working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign
- Basic knowledge of WordPress
- Available to work 20 hours per week minimum (28 hours maximum)
Internship Benefits Include:
- Option to participate in 5280 magazine events.
- Inclusion in the magazine’s printed masthead.
- Opportunity to add work to your portfolio.
Details: A commitment of 90 days is preferred. The internship is paid.
To apply: In order to be considered for this position you must email a cover letter, resumé, and no more than 3 design samples in one single PDF file to email@example.com. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
Deadlines for applications: Summer (April 1); Fall (August 1); Spring (January 26).