On
Newsstands
Now
Current Issue

Skip the Raw Bar

By |

It may be time to lay off the raw bar. State health officials are warning Colorado citizens of the dangers of eating raw oysters after one person died and nine others were sickened by the bacterium vibrio.

“It’s concerning because it’s a severe illness. People who are at high risk should not eat raw oysters,” Alicia Cronquist, an epidemiologist with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, said.

Advertisement

An 81-year-old Arapahoe County man died after eating raw oysters in a local restaurant. The symptoms of vibrio include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, chills, and fever.

Recommended for You

Newsletter Signup

Keep me up to date on the latest trends and happenings around Denver. 5280 has a newsletter for everyone. Sign Up