For the second year, John McCaskill (owner of MegaFauna) and Leif Sunde (owner of Loud Sound Management) are giving you one more reason to celebrate the end of the workweek. The Final Friday Music Walk & Urban Bazaar highlights the RiNo neighborhood—all activities are held on North Larimer Street, from Broadway to 37th Street*—with music, art, food, and fun. The 2014 series kicks off tonight (future dates: June 27, July 25, and August 29). Before you go, five things you need to know:
1. The three main stages—located near Exdo Event Center, Infinite Monkey Theorem, and the parking lot on the corner of 26th Street—will feature a rotating roster of musicians representing various genres. While some may play at more than one Final Friday, you will always hear something new. “There will be a level of familiarity, but it won’t be a mixed tape on repeat,” Sunde says.
2. If you buy your ticket in advance, it only costs $15; the price jumps up to $25 on the day of the event. That earns you access to the free drink tents (you get one free cocktail each from sponsors Deep Eddy Vodka and Dulce Vida Tequila), the bazaar, unlimited music, and drink specials/product discounts at some area businesses.
3. The Urban Bazaar—located along the street, between the music stages—features all local artisans, from apparel makers to jewelry designers.
4. You’re going to make new friends. Average attendance last year was 2,500 people per event. But that doesn’t mean you need to leave the kids at home. Children will find plenty of appropriate entertainment, no matter their age (food trucks, anyone?).
5. Be on the lookout for Final Friday programming to extend beyond just these four nights. McCaskill and Sunde are looking into hosting collaborative events at other venues (think: a DJ playing with the orchestra or local musicians paired with the ballet). “It’ll be progressive programming in classic performance spaces,” Sunde says. “It opens those spaces up to a younger audience.”
* 6/19/14 Editor’s Note: There is a change of location for the June 27 event. The Urban Bazaar and vendor area will now be at the RiNo Beach Club at 35th and Larimer; the Music Walk will extend from 29th to 36th streets; and Exdo Hall has been added as an indoor venue for late-night music.
—Image courtesy of Final Friday
Follow associate editor Daliah Singer on Twitter at