Rise & Dine
Ahh, breakfast. The smell of sizzling bacon alone brings back the Saturday mornings of childhood. And while the meal was ignored for too long by serious restaurants, that’s no longer true. The location and the chef may have changed—hang up the apron, Dad—but breakfast out is an amazing start to the day. Here, our favorite 64 spots for morning eats.
WHEN THE USUAL JUST WON’T DO…
- On Sundays, stop by Buchi Cafe Cubano for the $16 brunch that includes a plate heaped with arroz con pollo, Cuban pork roast, black beans, picadillo, flan, and platanos maduros. During the week, chow on the Cuban Mix—a classic Cubano sandwich with pork, ham, Swiss, onions, mustard, and pickles. 2651 W. 38th Ave., 303-458-1328, buchicafecubano.com
- The Aurora location of Pho 79 opens at 9 a.m., and regulars quickly file in for Vietnamese pho, a bowl of rice noodles swimming in seasoned beef. Tip: Order a Vietnamese coffee (drip coffee mixed with sweetened condensed milk and poured over ice). 1080 S. Havana St., Aurora, 303-344-0752
- We love dim sum at Star Kitchen for several reasons—not the least of which are the dishes of pepper shrimp, steaming siu mai, and turnip cakes that make their way around the room on pushcarts. The place is always packed, the carts never stop circulating, and we always leave stuffed. 2917 W. Mississippi Ave., 303-936-0089, starkitchendenver.com
- Chef-owner Milan Doshi's traditional Indian breakfasts are reason enough to book a night at the Queen Anne Bed & Breakfast. Guests are treated to a complimentary morning meal, and if you’re lucky, you’ll hit on a day when he’s whipping up aloo paratha (a savory potato pancake with garlic, ginger, and chile). 2147-51 Tremont Place, 303-296-6666, queenannebnb.com
- Denver is about 4,000 miles away from Ireland, but you can forget the distance during weekend brunch at Casey’s Bistro and Pub in Stapleton. We dare you to finish their Authentic Irish Breakfast plate of two eggs, rashers (thick slices of Irish bacon), bangers (pork sausages), black and white pudding (more sausage), sautéed mushrooms, roasted tomatoes, and Irish brown bread. 7301 E. 29th Ave., 720-974-7350, caseysbistroandpub.com