The Local newsletter is your free, daily guide to life in Colorado. For locals, by locals. Sign up today!
Note: If you buy something using the retail links in our stories, we may earn a small commission. 5280 does not accept money for editorial coverage, be it a review or a mention in a story. Read more about our policy.
Sure, come late September, it feels great to say you crossed another 10 fourteeners off your list—but do you ever find yourself secretly wishing you’d indulged in more simple, quintessential warm-weather pleasures? If so, this is your year: Between the stress and restrictions (social, monetary, travel) brought on by COVID-19, you have plenty of excuses to make this your most relaxing summer yet. We even created a find-your-local-Zen checklist to give you a sense of accomplishment, albeit via the most laid-back to-do list there is.
Give One Year of 5280 for just $16.
- Have a backyard campout complete with Parker-born Mountain Mallow’s cookies-and-cream marshmallows tucked inside your s’mores. $14 for 18,
- Cozy up your patio furniture with pillows sheathed in Denver artist Kate Kellogg’s hand block-printed Cardamom Designs covers. From $24
- Follow @cheesmanbark on Instagram for a remote dose of puppy cuteness.
- Read “Monumental Beauty” to fuel daydreams about a future trip to Colorado National Monument.
- Show your offspring what children did for fun before TikTok with a sparkly hula hoop from Colorado Springs’ MissHoopsALot. From $43
- Combat pandemic-induced anxiety by streaming a calming class from nonprofit Kadampa Meditation Center Colorado. $12 per week for unlimited sessions
- Roll a bit of calming lavender- and chamomile-scented oil from Alpine Essence in Berthoud on your wrists before snoozing with your windows open. $8
- Activate childhood nostalgia with push-up ice cream pops (try the orange cream) from Steuben’s in Uptown. $4
- Groove to There Will Come Soft Rains, Colorado crooner Esmé Patterson’s dreamy March album, while grilling in your backyard. Buy from Twist & Shout or Amazon
- Keep your rosé chilled (yes, all day) in a $35 Winesulator from Denver’s Brümate. Buy from Brümate or Amazon
- Sprawl out with a book in a nearby park on Gili Gear’s waterproof Earth Mat, an upcycled vinyl mesh blanket handmade in Vail and Denver. From $40
- Have your partner massage Don’t Be Sore muscle rub from Lafayette’s Little Herbal Apothecary onto your achy-from-summer-runs limbs. $16
- Catch a midafternoon nap with your honey in a nylon double hammock from Boulder’s Trek Light Gear. $70
- Try disc golf (we like Cam-enisch Park’s Badlands Disc Golf Course), the cheaper and more leisurely—but equally social distance friendly—cousin to Tiger Woods’ sport of choice.
- Blend produce from your CSA share and a 20-milligram packet of Denver-based Caliper CBD’s powder into a nourishing smoothie. $25 per 10-pack
- Bike to Huckleberry Roasters in Sunnyside for a cold brew (and a side of toilet paper, if necessary). $5.50 plus $2.50 per roll of TP
- Record your “summer in the time of COVID-19” musings in Cold Mountain Craft’s Aspen-made leather journal with a handy shoulder strap. From $109
- Busy your art-camp-less young Monet with a Paint & Plant pottery-decorating kit from Green Lady Gardens on Santa Fe Drive. From $35
- Score the best seat in the driveway at your neighborhood happy hour thanks to Steamboat Springs–based Big Agnes’ new cupholder-equipped Big Six Armchair. $200 Buy from Big Agnes or Amazon
- Reward yourself for mowing the lawn (again) with new booze-infused kombucha from Boulder’s Mortal Kombucha. $6
- Suffuse a post-yardwork rinse with aromas of more tropical flora courtesy of a Hawaiian Dreams shower bomb from Fort Collins’ Salus. $2.65
- Breathe easy when you go out in one of Weave and Gather’s masks, handmade by Boulderite Rachel Relin Haswell. $24
- Light Jannu & Me’s citrus-infused Black Cliff candle with beachy sea salt, hand-poured in Boulder. $24
- Enhance backyard stargazing—see if your kids can spot extra-bright Deneb, Vega, and Altair—with a telescope from Lakewood’s Mile High Astronomy. From $130