The Local newsletter is your free, daily guide to life in Colorado. For locals, by locals. Sign up today!
Governor Bill Ritter signed a bill yesterday requiring detectors–which alert people when colorless, odorless carbon monoxide might poison them–to be installed in many homes and apartments, according to 7News, which reports the law applies to new homes and apartment buildings as well as those that are sold or undergo any major renovations. The law is named forÂ Lauren Johnson, a University of Denver student who died last year after carbon monoxide seeped into her apartment, and for the four members of the Lofgren family who lost their lives while in a resort home in Aspen. The legislation, sponsored in part by newcomer Representative Lois Court and which takes effect on July 1, came too late for David Driscoll, a Colorado Springs chiropractor who was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in his Fairplay cabin recently, notes theÂ Gazette, adding that in December, 22-year-old Kelly Murphy of Manitou Springs died of the same cause.