The Local newsletter is your free, daily guide to life in Colorado. For locals, by locals. Sign up today!
Blistering. Scorching. Sweltering. There are many ways to describe the heat wave that’s coming to Denver this weekend. Lucky for you, we’ve got five fresh solutions that’ll make summertime living, well, a breeze. So put down the ice pack and check out these more pleasurable ways to cool off.
1) Take a dip: Stapleton’s F-15 pool is kid-friendly and also boasts lap lanes, grassy areas, and, generous amounts of shaded space. (Daily 11 a.m.-6:45 p.m., 2831 Hanover St., 303-355-5078. $7 for non-residents.)
Give One Year of 5280 for just $16.
2) Sip on a cocktail: Even though it’s concocted with fresh jalapeños, the spicy mango-cilantro sangria at Cuba Cuba will quickly cool your senses, so order up a pitcher (or two). Or make it at home. (Mon-Thu 5-10 p.m., Fri-Sat 5-10:30 p.m., 1173 Delaware St., 303-605-2822.)
3) Escape to the lakes: Tackle the trek from the Echo Lake campground to the Chicago Lakes and you’ll be rewarded with breathtaking views and a peaceful glacial oasis. (Echo Lake campground in Clear Creek. Free.)
4) Explore Colorado’s caves: Retreat deep into the Manitou Grand Caverns on this guided tour to explore historic rock formations using only a hand-held lantern. Learn the eerie history of the Cave of the Winds and you’ll be leaving with goosebumps, we promise. (Daily 7 a.m.-10 p.m., 100 Cave of the Winds Rd., Manitou Springs, 719-685-5444. $11-20.)
5) Get cheesy: Chill out in Colorado’s largest walk-in refrigerated cheese and cured meat market while sampling gourmet goodies from around the world at Cheese Importer’s Warehouse. (Mon-Sat 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Sun 11 a.m.-5 p.m., 33 S. Pratt Pkwy, Longmont, 303-443-4444.)
—Image courtesy of Shutterstock.