The Local newsletter is your free, daily guide to life in Colorado. For locals, by locals. Sign up today!
What a great public service from the ACLU of Colorado! Saturday, February 23, 10:30 am – 5:00 pm WHERE: St. Catejan’s Main Hall, 9th & Lawrence, Auraria Campus, Denver
An all-day series of FREE talks and workshops designed to teach people about civil liberties, grassroots activism, legislative lobbying and community outreach. Here’s the full agenda (PDF). Light breakfast and lunch are on us as well.The Perfect Gift For Everyone On Your List!Give a Gift Now »
Give One Year of 5280 for just $16.
These FREE workshops and lectures include:
- a briefing on current issues from Executive Director Cathy Hazouri and ACLU lobbyist Pat Steadman,
- a session on how to spot ACLU issues in your city
- a discussion of 2008 election strategy and more
Among the speakers:
- Sue Epperson, chemistry professor at CU-Colorado Springs. As a young science teacher Epperson was the plaintiff in a landmark Supreme Court Decision, Epperson v. Arkansas. Her case struck down anti-evolution laws restricting public school curricula as unconstitutional.
- Mike German, ACLU National Office Policy Counsel. Mike German is a sixteen-year veteran of the FBI, where he served as a Special Agent in domestic terrorism, bank fraud and public corruption investigations. German also served in undercover operations, successfully helping to prevent several terrorist attacks. He resigned in 2004 to make Congress and the public aware of the continuing deficiencies in FBI counter-terrorism operations.
Be sure to RSVP, follow the first link at the top.