The Local newsletter is your free, daily guide to life in Colorado. For locals, by locals. Sign up today!
It’s 48 hours until Easter and every store is advertising this or that frock to rock for your Sunday plans. But should you go for the laid-back jeans outfit that’s typically Colorado, or a dress that says “spring is here” (even if the weather doesn’t)?
This Easter, why not try both?
Give One Year of 5280 for just $16.
Pairing a dress with pants is a style that’s been embraced by fashion bloggers such as The Man Repeller, and showcased on the runways of several designers during pre-fall shows. This layered look mimics the transition from winter to spring and offers protection against Denver’s likely temperature changes. In other words, don’t worry about the wind getting control of your dress (or being cold in the case of a sporadic storm). The look is versatile—you can class it up with a cocktail dress and black skinnies like the picture above, or pair a flowy spring dress with ripped jeans for a more casual Easter egg hunt (pictured right).
Pink’s Straight from L.A. store managers Kristen Franta and Rachel L’Heureux shared a few styling tips to help you put a trendy twist on the classic Easter ensemble:
- Try every dress style with skinny jeans. Most silhouettes will look great with skinnies, so let that be your starting point.
- Make it ultra-feminine with heels and statement jewelry.
- Make sure your outfit is balanced. If you wear boyfriend jeans, go for a daintier shoe and less jewelry. Experiment with bigger accessories and pieces that really show off your shape.
- If you’re trying a shorter dress, treat it like a longer shirt. Tuck the front into boyfriend jeans and billow out the excess. With a shorter hemline, mini and high-low dresses can be used to create that modern half-tucked look.
- “Grunge it up” with casual jeans, wedges, and a sun hat.
And if you’re still unsure how to make it work, allow your feet to do the talking: “We would recommend heels as your shoe,” L’Heureux says. “Jeans can feel bulky under dresses sometimes and heels bring out the femininity.”
Inset photo: Store manager Kristen Franta models a Hippy Love bohemian dress, $57, and recommends pairing it with Eunina jeans, $45.