The Local newsletter is your free, daily guide to life in Colorado. For locals, by locals. Sign up today!
Colorado is the kind of place that gets under your skin, into your blood, and into your soul. I wasn’t born or raised here, but I made a conscious decision to get here as fast as I could. And for almost nine years, I’ve been writing about the people, places, and experiences that make this state such a special place to live, explore, and discover yourself. Today, as I write my last post as a 5280 staffer, I can’t help but think about the adventures ahead, and how very different they’ll be.
Let’s be honest: It’ll be difficult—dare I say impossible—to top the Colorado lifestyle. The trip down memory lane, much of it documented in 5280, is a spectacular one. So, just in case you haven’t been paying attention over the years, here are 10 things, in no particular order, that should be on your “to-do” list.
1. Go on a yurt trip. Try the Hidden Treasure yurts in Eagle County.
3. Take a road trip to the Moab Music Festival. Stay at the Sorrel River Ranch.
4. Ski Telluride. A lot.
5. Wrestle an alligator. OK, not for everyone, but there are hundreds of them at the Colorado Gators and Reptile Park in the San Juan Valley.
6. Try ice climbing. Nothing quite like hoisting yourself over the top of a frozen waterfall in Rocky Mountain National Park.
7. Visit a mountain spa. You deserve it.
8. Raft under Christo’s (still pending) “Over the River” installation—if he ever clears the hurdles.
9. Go tubing. We like the Poudre River. But be safe.
10. Watch the sun rise at Red Rocks. You can get up that early once. It’s worth it.
Until next time, Colorado…
—Image courtesy of Shutterstock