The Local newsletter is your free, daily guide to life in Colorado. For locals, by locals. Sign up today!
Rain-riddled skies or not, the kickoff to summer starts now. Without losing sight of Memorial Day’s true purpose—to honor the men and women who’ve lost their lives while serving our country—here are highlights of this holiday weekend.
1. Meadowgrass Music Festival: A weekend showcase in Colorado Springs of folk bands with Elephant Revival as a key local draw. La Foret Conference Center, Colorado Springs; Fri-Sun.
That's only $1 per issue!
2. Denver Day of Rock: The 16th Street shuffle is in full effect. The concerts are free, with 24 musical acts including Black Joe Lewis, the Plain White T’s, and the Wallflowers. 16th Street Mall; Fri 6:30 p.m., Sat 2:30 p.m.
3. Run for the Door: Sprint into summer with this 5K around Cheesman Park, which benefits Open Doors Denver, an organization that provides housing assistance. Cheesman Park; Sat 8:30 a.m.
4. Veterans Memorial Day Tribute: Military veterans will lay wreaths to honor their fallen comrades. KPOF Hall; Sat 11:30 a.m.
5. Volunteer Jam: This free concert for members of the military, Red Cross, and first responders features the Charlie Daniels Band. A limited number of tickets are also available for purchase. Fiddlers Green; Sat 5:30 p.m.
6. Fort Logan’s Memorial Day Service: Governor Hickenlooper will speak at this service to honor those who lost their lives in military service. Fort Logan; Mon 11 a.m.
7. Observance at Fairmont Cemetery: On Memorial Day, the Nisei memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. and the Gold Star Families of America and Veterans memorial service will take place at the Ivy Chapel at 1 p.m. Fairmont Cemetery; Mon 11 a.m.