Late last week word spread quickly through the Auraria campus that an unidentified male student of Metropolitan State College of Denver had died from a rare case of bacterial meningitis.
Campus health officials responded with an awareness campaign, telling students to seek help if they feel fatigued and confused or experience severe headaches, notes 7News.
Give One Year of 5280 for just $16.
The disease, which is spread through nasal and throat secretions—particularly among people who share living spaces and personal items—is now spawning concerns in Boulder, according to the Daily Camera. The male Metro student who died on Thursday attended a party on the 700 Block of 36th Street in Boulder on April 2. Several of the students at that party have received a preventative antibiotic treatment.
Meningitis is considered rare: The state tracks just 16 to 25 cases of a year.