The Local newsletter is your free, daily guide to life in Colorado. For locals, by locals. Sign up today!
Earth Day Events
Let em Have it Salon: Colorado’s first certified Green Circle Salon celebrates Earth Day with a party to showcase sustainability efforts in the beauty industry. Through their partnership with Green Circle, the Canadian organization that facilitates waste reduction, this Denver salon has already diverted 85-95 percent of hair clippings, aluminum foil, and color waste away from landfills and water streams and towards recycling facilities as well as alternative uses like making oil booms (nylon tubes filled with hair) for aid in oil spill cleanup. The event will feature live music, drinks, small bites, and product specials and giveaways. Friday 6-8 p.m.; 490 E. 20th Ave., Denver; free
Bee Earth Day Celebration: The Children’s Peace Garden, Boulder’s urban agriculture project, will host this garden exploration. Kids can plant seeds to take home, learn about local honeybees and the worm composting system, as well as participate in the garden maze and obstacle course. Goats from the neighboring Mountain Flower Goat Dairy will also be joining the festivities to race through the garden course. Two bluegrass bands, Farm Fresh Onions and Kitchen Sink, will perform, and The Wheel & Whisk Roadside Café and Two Hands Kitchen will serve lunch. Saturday, 10 a.m.–2 p.m.; 1630 Hawthorn Ave., Boulder; free
Give One Year of 5280 for just $16.
Rocky Mountain Wild’s Earth Day Gear Swap: Put your spring-cleaning energy to good use by consigning your rarely used gear at this Earth Day event. You will receive 80 percent of the ticket price when items sell and the other 20 percent will benefit Rocky Mountain Wild, a conservation organization committed to protecting at-risk species and their ecosystems and restoring degraded habitats. Drop off the equipment prior to the swap on Thursday, April 21 from 3-5 p.m. or Friday, April 22 from 9-10 a.m. Stay for the happy hour after the swap! Friday, 10 a.m.–4 p.m.; Alliance Center, 1536 Wynkoop St., Denver
EarthLinks’ Earth Day Concert Celebration: This nonprofit promotes community building by creating Earth-friendly work programs (such as floral and garden design) for people experiencing homelessness and poverty. Midzi “Roots” Marimba Band, a traditional and contemporary Zimbabwean and South African musical group, will headline their annual concert fundraiser. Proceeds will benefit EarthLinks programming. Friday, 7-9 p.m.; Highlands United Methodist Church, 3131 Osceola St., Denver. $20 per person, $45 per family
Causes to Care About
Do Good, Get Good: Timbuk2, the San Franciscan creator of their prolific messenger bag, will be holding a bag donation event at their store in LoDo to benefit local nonprofit, Sox Place. The bags will be distributed to the homeless youth who use the Sox Place drop-in center safe space. Your donation of any type of bag will be met with 30 percent off the purchase of a new Timbuk2 product. Mon-Thu, 10 a.m.–7 p.m., Fri-Sat, 10 a.m.–8 p.m., Sun, 12 p.m.–6 p.m.; 1411 Larimer St.
Eat a Burrito, Support the Denver Dumb Friends League: Use your lunch hour to support Denver’s homeless pets and the initiatives of the Denver Dumb Friends League. Chipotle has pledged to donate 50 percent of your lunch sale on Tuesday, April 19 to the League. Simply mention the Dumb Friends League to your cashier to pledge your support with your purchase. Tuesday, 11 a.m.–10 p.m.; All Denver Chipotle locations