The Local newsletter is your free, daily guide to life in Colorado. For locals, by locals. Sign up today!
If it feels like Denver is becoming as obsessed with football as Peyton Manning is, you’re right—at least until Sunday. Which made the 5280 editors wonder: What is No. 18’s pregame ritual? It is sure to be perfected, obsessive, and, well, effective. So, here’s our guess as to what he’s doing.
- Iron boxer shorts.
- Remind intern about the proper curvature for the brim of post-game hat.
- Create a pop quiz for the receivers on routes. Practice “I’m disappointed” face if they answer incorrectly.
- Start pre-game stretches for neck. Continue until game time.
- Order 60 Papa John’s pizzas to be delivered to the Seahawks’ hotel rooms at 3 a.m. on gameday because you get a bulk deal.
- Polish shoes.
- Moisturize forehead.
- Put post-game Bud Light in fridge to chill for tomorrow. Feel guilty about not trying Colorado’s craft beers.
- Call Eli to wish him goodnight.
- Call Eric Decker to remind him to tie his shoelaces.
- Remoisturize forehead.
- Try out other names, instead of Omaha (“South Dakota! South Dakota!”).
- Send email to John Fox and John Elway saying, “I’ve got this.”
—Image courtesy of Shutterstock