The Local newsletter is your free, daily guide to life in Colorado. For locals, by locals. Sign up today!
When the Vail International Dance Festival (VIDF) hits the mountain stage on Sunday, you’ll have more than a dozen performances and events to choose from. Plan your schedule around these five events, selected with input from VIDF artistic director Damian Woetzel (read my Q&A with him).
1. Up Close: Footwork. Woetzel hosts a behind-the-scenes experience where attendees can watch professional dancers in a variety of styles perform, and then learn about the footwork and technique afterward. “There’s no divide between the stage and the house,” Woetzel says. Wednesday, July 31, 6:30 p.m., Vilar Performing Arts Center, Beaver Creek, $75–$275
That's only $1 per issue!
2. International Evenings of Dance. This around-th- world introduction to dance features Argentinean Herman Cornejo, principal in the American Ballet Theatre (pictured), who will perform in pieces he’s never previously danced. Friday, August 2, and Saturday, August 3, 7:30 p.m., Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater, Vail, $20–$95
3. Now: Premieres. An evening of five world premieres commissioned for VIDF. Of particular note: A brand new piece by modern dance master Paul Taylor, performed by the Paul Taylor Dance Company. Monday, August 5, 7:30 p.m., Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater, Vail, $20–$75
4. Dance for $20.13. You can’t beat this deal: four performances for $20.13.
Tuesday, August 6, 7:30 p.m., Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater, Vail
5. Dance TV. See top movers and shakers from dance reality shows—So You Think You Can Dance, America’s Best Dance Crew, Dancing with the Stars—live. My favorite: Twitch. Saturday, August 10, 7:30 p.m., Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater, Vail, $20–$75
Can’t get away? Get cultured closer to home with this $17 deal for admission to the MCA and the Clyfford Still Museum—plus one cocktail and a bike rental to travel between the two.
–Image courtesy of Erin Baiano