In 1993, Peter Michael Greene was killed by his girlfriend Carolyn Gloria Blanton.

Greene, 51, was shot four times by Woodry with a .25-caliber revolver. She then dismembered his body, wrapped his torso in a blanket and stored that in a closet in his home. She took his legs back to her apartment, where she cut hunks of flesh from his legs. Investigators found bite-sized chunks of human flesh prepared in a stew on the stove at Woodry’s home.

You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out Woodry was insane. She was committed to the Colorado State Hospital. Friday, the Court ordered Blanton, who changed her name to Jane Lynn Woodry, released to the community, with continued supervision.

When the two-hour hearing came to a close, Jane Lynn Woodry’s friends gave her hugs and congratulations, and it was only then that the nondescript woman with a pleasant smile finally spoke about herself – briefly. “I want people to know that the community is safe,” Woodry said to a reporter. “I am not a danger to the community.”

The therapists at the State Hospital do not fear for the community once Woodry is released.

… the psychotherapist and the psychiatrist who supervise her treatment at the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo, where she has been held since 1994, gave favorable reviews of Woodry’s progress. “She has had very few problems at the hospital,” said psychotherapist Pamela Morgan. “Her emotional condition is very stable. It behooves her to be back out in the community. “I do not have any concerns about public safety.”

The DA had opposed the release, until his own hired expert arrived at the same conclusion. He then asked that if the Court were to release her, that she have to wear a monitoring bracelet:

That plea was rejected, based on the opinion of Hansen and her own psychiatrist at the hospital, Dr. Elissa Ball, who both believed a monitoring bracelet could be counterproductive to her continued progress.

The Judge found that every expert and specialist agreed with the recommendation that she be released.

Woodry has already been enjoying significant day privileges away from the hospital, attending art classes at Pueblo Community College for several years. Another judge had given her permission in 1999 for short supervised excursions from the state hospital campus, and two years later, her request for unsupervised daytime excursions was also approved. Giving Woodry permission to now live away from the hospital, Swift noted, “is not a dramatic change.”

Woodry’s release does have strict conditions, however:

Woodry’s release will be closely supervised under a 12-point plan that will include continuing her twice-monthly injections of a drug to control symptoms of her schizophrenia, and three meetings a week with her case manager. Conditions for her release also include holding a job, attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, and writing daily diary cards and a journal for review by a social worker. Romantic relationships, should any develop, will also be subjected to close monitoring.