In this month's autumn Home issue, we take you inside the personal kitchen of two of Denver's most celebrated chefs, power couple Jennifer Jasinski (Rioja, Bistro Vendôme, and Euclid Hall) and Max MacKissock (formerly of the Squeaky Bean). But to give you a taste of what comes out of their recently renovated home cooking space, we got them to share this perfect-for-fall recipe. They source many of the ingredients from their backyard garden—for the freshest flavor, we suggest doing the same or hitting up your local farmers' market.
Delicata Squash with Salsa Verde & Gruyère Breadcrumbs
2 delicata squash
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup parsley
¼ cup mint
¼ cup basil
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon capers
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
juice of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 ciabatta slices, 1 inch thick
1 cup Gruyère, grated
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut the squash in half vertically. Scrape out all seeds and pith. Roast the four halves in the oven with butter and seasoned with salt and pepper until each delicata is fork-tender (about 20 minutes).
3. Salsa verde: With a mortar and pestle, grind all ingredients, except for the lemon. Once a smooth paste has been achieved, add in the lemon juice.
4. Breadcrumbs: Toast the ciabatta in olive oil until golden brown on both sides. In a food processor, pulse the warm bread and grated cheese to your desired crumb size.
5. Place a piece of the squash in the center of each plate, and divide the salsa verde and breadcrumbs among them.
Want more field-to-table recipes from local chefs? Check out our Fresh Picks series.
—Image Courtesy of Shutterstock
Follow copy chief Jessica Farmwald on Twitter at @JessicaKF.
Meet the man who took charge of the Colorado DOC in the wake of his predecessor’s murder....
The 33 things every Coloradan should know how to do.
This season’s nine top looks for men and women exude a casual but polished elegance...
Behold, the 10 very best restaurants to hit the Mile High City in the past year.
Elegant taste, feminine colors, and just a touch of sparkle: How a city girl got her dream home...