The Local newsletter is your free, daily guide to life in Colorado. For locals, by locals. Sign up today!
Not to sugarcoat it, but 2020 was a moldy sourdough starter engulfed in a forest fire. Still, some good came out of it. Staffers at 5280, along with helpful readers, waded through the sewage to compile a list of the best developments spawned by the year’s never-ending crises. After mining that gold, predicting the longevity of these rare blessings and deciding how impactful they’ve been to Colorado was even easier than wearing a mask in public.
- A flurry of overdue appreciation for our essential workers: doctors, nurses, teachers, childcare workers, grocery store clerks, and more. Thanks, everyone!
- Empty dog shelters because people are adopting! @smooochie1
- Less movement = less pollution. @curranmriley
- Cities adopted pedestrian-friendly streets! Maybe they will stick around after the pandemic. @kboysen14
Here to Stay:
- People are investing in their homes or apartments, creating a space they’re happy to spend (all that extra) time. @klimkkoleynik
- Outdoor eating for restaurants that didn’t have it previously! @courtneybrillhart
- We’ve felt a shift of focus to communities; building, supporting, shopping small. @somebodypeopledenver
- Getting to know my neighbors after spending more time in my own neighborhood. @mm_303_co
- Reservation systems at the zoo and museums as well as limited day use at popular campgrounds. Fewer people made it harder to get access, but the experience was better once there. @babygiraffe81
- Takeout cocktails for the win! @katimcleod
- Denverites thirsting for a way to stay in shape when gyms closed (or, you know, to escape the house for a bit) got even more into cycling, making bikes one of the year’s hottest commodities.
- When indoor movie theaters closed, Coloradans rediscovered the retro joy of the drive-in.
- The Denver Nuggets made it to the Western Conference Finals for the fourth time ever. Let’s hope it wasn’t just the midseason break (or nightclub closures).
- Less traffic. @funkes_jean_shorts