The Local newsletter is your free, daily guide to life in Colorado. For locals, by locals. Sign up today!
A lot can happen in 10 years. In 2012, Instagram had only 13 employees, Barack Obama had a full presidential term ahead of him, Game of Thrones was in its second season, and this magazine debuted. Since then, we’ve published dozens more editions (see our past covers below) that have documented the ever-changing tides of interior design—from decor styles that had hot, albeit fleeting, moments, to smart design techniques that have proven timeless.
In celebration of our 10th anniversary, we asked local design experts to share the styles they want to see more (and less) of in the decade ahead. Their responses revealed excitement about the movement toward warm-and-cozy, feel-good interiors—think: rich tones and textures, curved forms, and, most importantly, plenty of character on display.
- Sizzling or Simmering? Designers Rank Design Trends of the Past Decade
- 4 Predictions for Denver’s (Cooling-Off?) Real Estate Market
- Add Creative Spark to Your Home With These Artsy Decor Finds
- A Mural by Prolific Denver Street Artists Inspired This Daring Dining Room
- Boulder Textile Innovator Edie Ure’s Botanical Wallcoverings Put Nature Center Stage
- How to Pick the Best Paint Colors for Every Space in Your Home
- Meet 6 Local Makers Whose Creations Will Make Your House Sing
This Decorating Issue is filled with forward-thinking ways to pack your home with personality. You’ll find art-inspired decor selected by designer Angela Harris and botanical wallcoverings by textile innovator Edie Ure. You’ll meet several local artists (including cover star Laura Goodson) who create beautiful and useful pieces for the home. And you’ll tour the decked-out Littleton home of interior designer Miranda Cullen, who offered this bit of wisdom: “If a piece speaks to me, I find a way to incorporate it.” In other words: Decorating with things that make your heart skip a beat never goes out of style. Cheers to the next 10 years—of embracing beauty how you define it!